We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

Harwich...
Level Contributor
146 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

Any local or visitor know if the status of the SW lease has changed or what the reason was behind the delay in extending it? All I know is what I read in the Citizen that the decision was put aside, don't tell me the city is getting some unknown bid for more condos!

While I'm posting this anyone been to the Typsy Flamingo? The Brick Bar? Both near Mallory Sq., . Thanks.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

I'll try to find out and get back to you, because I'm curious myself. I suspect that they were concerned about the length of the lease. The conventional theory is that once the condos go up where Jabour's used to be, the condo people will start complaining about the presence of the bar.

I wouldn't put anything past the city at this point, but the bar is a pretty darn popular spot with both locals and tourists. I'm not sure the city wants to invite that kind of wrath.

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

I'm gonna be REALLY angry if the presence of those condos screws up the Historic Seaport - especially Schooner Wharf, the Half Shell Raw Bar, etc. Condos are taking over the whole island :(

Long Island, NY
Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

Where in the Historic Seaport would they put condos? They wouldn't get rid of the Schooner Wharf, would they?! I can't imagine Key West without the Schooner Wharf!!

arkansas
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

The condos are going to be where the Jabour's Trailer Court was...behind the Historic Seaport.

NJ
Level Contributor
125 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

Will these condos affect Lazy Way? When I was there I noticed a lot of the storefronts on Lazy Way were closed.

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

The current plan is that the condos -- I think four buildings, two two-story and two four-story -- shouldn't affect anything but the former location of Jabours. The city owns the land that Schooner Wharf is on, so people are a little nervous with the lease in flux like it is. SW has asked for 20 years instead of 10.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
36,123 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Schooner Wharf Lease Update??

I've always thought that there would be two ways to ruin Key West; One would be to start building condos or a really big hotel in Old Town. (The Marriott is big but it fits into the waterfront). And the second would be to enlargen the airport so that bigget jets could get in. G*d forbid. Not in my lifetime.

The question is what will happen to Key West if/when Cuba opens up? Will the ships just by-pass the island? Is this good/bad?

Pjk

Get answers to your questions about Key West