We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
178 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

Enjoying hanging out with my dad for 9 days in Key West, having a blast running about. Today he wanted to buy some shirts, hats, and the like. I was a bit taken aback by the prices of these items from the bars. Have you experienced any of this?

I live in San Diego on the beach, a tourist area no doubt. Most of our places a shirt might be 15-20$ hats less I would imagine. Shirts seem to start at 25$ here, and a hat my dad bought me at Turtle Kralls was $31. Really? We bought from Schooner Wharf, Turtle Kralls, and Half Shell Raw Bar today. Nothing is a bargain. These are the straight cotton shirts, not dry fit.

Do you think these are inflated or the norm? I know there are cheap places on duval and around but these are from the actual bars and restaurants.

Washington
Level Contributor
583 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

Live in dc. Vendors on street are cheap. Buying from actual bars or museums prices are similar to key west. I hear people complain about restaurant prices too, but they are similar to somewhat less expensive than dc.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
178 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

I'd never complain at Clydes or Ebbitts Grill in D.C. :) Thank you for your answer. I think I'm floored about a $31 regular hat, but found the others higher than I am used to as well.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,260 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

If you still have time check the Conch Republic's gift shop. They generally have the best prices for logo caps and shirts: tees, tanks, fisherman's, swim.

Pjk

San Diego...
Level Contributor
178 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

Here until Fri night, will go there for some red shrimp or something dad was squawking. Thx

Tiffin, Ohio...
Level Contributor
562 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

Your dad was squawking about the Royal Red shrimp at Conch Republic and for good reason- they're excellent! I like the gift shop there too, I buy a light weight hoodie sweatshirt there every year. I don't remember them being cheap though.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

Most of the bars and restaurants are going to have higher prices on their merchandise but I find it to be generally higher quality than you'll find in the cheaper souvenir stores. It's the same way here, both in Orlando and Cape Canaveral/Cocoa Beach. They sell cheaper stuff on I Drive and in the beach T-shirt/souvenir shops but the bars are going to charge more. Honestly I'm willing to pay more for a bar logo item than some generic Duval Street stuff. I do often find bargains on sale items in Smokin' Tuna and other places.

Okemos, Michigan
Level Contributor
440 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

If you want to buy say a Capt. Tony's shirt right from the source, you're going to pay the tourist premium. Much like an NFL shirt or such. They are all just cloth and ink but but you pay for the desirability.

A friend of ours works at one of the everything 5 dollars stores on Duval and I honestly could not find one thing I would wear in there.

Michigan
Level Contributor
2,453 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

If you catch it on the right day you can find some really great things at the Conch Republic in the tiny clearance section.

I will say my Half Shell hooded sweatshirt is one of the most comfy things I have and was worth every penny.

Any shirt you get from the bars is a great conversation piece anywhere you go.

Another place that has a few nice discount items is Sloppy Joe's.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,996 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

I have a feeling that San Diego is much closer to the factories that produce those t-shirts than the tip of the Florida Keys.

The best prices on t-shirts is at the places we've seen driving up through the Middle-Upper Keys. But yes, they're just generic. For the real stuff stick to the actual bars whose name is on the shirt.

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,358 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much are vendor/gift shop prices where you live?

I live in a tourist town which many people think is similar to Key West, it has some similarities but it's not Key West. One of the similarities is the price of some things such as T shirts, you can buy the cheap T shirts at a few shops for ten or so dollars or you can get them from a bar or restaurant for twenty five dollars.