We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How Often Do You Visit Key West?

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
How Often Do You Visit Key West?

So my brain is still basically on island time after getting home on Saturday night. Monday was Monday, but I didn't really feel that Monday gloom, same with Tuesday, and even Wednesday is still holding in there on island time. It's wearing off, but I still feel it. HOWEVER, all I can think about is how fast I can get myself back to Key West! So that brings up a question: We all know Key West isn't "cheap". So how many times per year does everyone manage to visit? Is it your big annual vacation? Do you manage 2 or 3 trips per year? I know for some you can just hop in the car and drive down, but others have to fly. This question is especially aimed at those who fly? And even more aimed at those who prefer to fly into EYW (like me). How often do you make it down?

Key West Full-Day Power Adventure...
136 Reviews
from $145.00*
Special Offer
Key West Day Trip
398 Reviews
from $49.99*
$75.00
Key West Sunset Champagne and...
146 Reviews
from $63.00*
Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,299 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

Most years, twice a year, usually in May and July, but last year they moved the Hemingway conference to July so I went to Chicago / Oak Park for that then, and will go to Paris for it next year.

I've been going to three places every year, Paris, Budapest, and Key West, then one other, new place. Istanbul this past December / January, and those first three are probably in order of desirability for me. I don't believe I'd go to Key West more than twice a year.

Pjk

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

Hey PJK. First off, thanks for the links for the birthday stuff. That Fury Commotion on the Ocean was great!

Second, I'm a little surprised you said May and July since they're so close together. Interesting, but I hear it's very nice there in May so I understand. Sorry I missed you last week! When's your next trip down? Do you plan on trying that new Newark service? It's already loaded for the winter.

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

We live in Orlando so we drive down but wish Southwest still flew to Key West - that was so sweet! The last few years we've gone to KW five or six times a year - two or three nine day visits and two or three long weekend type visits. This year, however, it's very likely we won't get back down until our anniversary week in December which will be visit # 4 for 2017. We're working on a long-term goal of staying on island time indefinitely, just a little closer to home. We may have to cut back on our Key West visits in the next year or so but hopefully not for long!

Westbury, New York
Level Contributor
614 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

Hey cruisemom! I agree it was a shame when Southwest pulled out for sure! I'm more partial to Delta, but if they still had that Orlando flight I could have flown my sister down with me! It must be great to get to visit so much. I'm just starting out in my career so I don't get as much time off yet (plus people keep asking me to visit), but I certainly understand getting down there as often as possible!

Level Contributor
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

We usually go once a year sometimes twice. We have been going in April the last 3 years and September/October before then.

Pjk
New Jersey
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
38,299 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

I used to use Hemingway days in July as a kind of excuse for that second trip and the weather in May has always been so good that I'd hate to miss that trip. And it comes right after "April in Paris."

Pjk

Cape Canaveral...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
7,811 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

We used to fly to Key West on Delta when they had nonstop from Orlando -- it was good too. SW was just a lot cheaper most of the time. Now the only option is Silver so we drive. :)

Fort Lauderdale...
Level Contributor
634 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

Fortunately we live in Fort Lauderdale so we can go down when the urge hits. Usually two to three times a year. We usually jump back and forth between South Beach and Key West. Hotels are much more expensive in Key West but drinking and eating is much more in South Beach so it is a wash.

Saint James City...
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
Level Contributor
16,450 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

We've been traveling to Key West since the mid 90's. At least once a year, often twice. We used to think we would retire ot Key West, but, then real estate went beyond our means.

Three years ago, we moved to SW Florida from the Midwest. We missed last year, but, will head back again in October.

Hopewell...
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: How Often Do You Visit Key West?

We travel 3 to 4 times a year. Stay for a week at a time. Boat races in November, some time in January, April for the celebration, and if we can fit another trip in we do. The song writers festival is a good time.