We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving at night to Key Largo

los angeles
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Driving at night to Key Largo

Hi there! I really need some advice here. I'm planning to visit Key West before going on the cruise off Miami on Saturday. My flight will arrive at 9.20pm on Tuesday. I'm thinking to pick up a rental car and drive straight to Key Largo so I can have all day next morning to enjoy the drive to Key West. It takes only 1 hr 30 mnt to Key Largo, but how is the drive there? Is it safe? Will I miss good views along the drive to Key Largo from Miami?

Otherwise I will just have to stay one night nearby airport and leave tomorrow morning (downside is my 2 boys 15 n 12 are not early risers) and drive straight to Key West, stay one night at Key West, leave on Thursday and arrive at Key Largo by night. Leave Friday to Miami. Of course, this will cause less places to cover.

I really want to have Friday to hang around Miami beach and leave for the cruise after check out from Miami hotel on Saturday.

I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,089 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving at night to Key Largo

There really isn't much of anything to see from MIA to KL. Most of the way is the turnpike and then the 18 mile "Stretch' of nothing. Very easy and safe drive.

If you're already staying in KL - choose another part of the Keys on your way back such as Islamorada or Marathon.

los angeles
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving at night to Key Largo

Thanks so much, Bluewater. That's what I need, assurance from an expert like you. I was worry because it must be very dark n quiet at night along the drive there. So I'll set to go straight to Key Largo upon my arrival at night. Definitely, that way I will have extra time on the way back to visit or even stay for a night at Islamorada or Marathon. Thanks again.

philadelphia
Level Contributor
62 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving at night to Key Largo

Hi - was wondering how this worked. We arrive in Miami on a St. night at 7 PM, thinking of picking up rental car and driving to Key Largo so we wake up in a beautiful location (not at an airport hotel). How long was the drive from Miami to Key Largo? thanks

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,089 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving at night to Key Largo

From MIA to the bulk of KL - about an hour.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,411 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving at night to Key Largo

That time of night is when we pass through KL almost every time we head to KW. Many times when traveling from Orlando for a few days in the Keys, we head out after my wife gets out of school in the afternoon. We get out of Orlando ahead of the traffic and hit south Florida after the worst of it.

No problem driving at that time, but it is very desolate -- although seems a little less so, now that they have improved the Florida City to KL section. I remember the first time we drove that, late at night, it seemed like we were off the grid and out of the civilized world for a while. I was sure that Swamp Thing was going to pop out of the weeds on the side of the road at some point! (:o)

6. Re: Driving at night to Key Largo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, October 03, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo