We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to find a place we went once.

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to find a place we went once.

Coming into the Keys from Miami - driving - there was a place on the right had side (the west side of the road) that we pulled into on our way going to Islamorada - sat outside with a beer - and the birds were flying around - the wild parakeets or whatever they were. Can anyone tell me what the name of this little bar was? you can sit out side like on picnic tables and literally right off the highway...

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

On the water?

Sounds like Alabama jacks except for the location. AJ is closer to ocean reef and key largo and no where near Islamorada.

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

No - it was as we were hitting the keys - on our way to islamorada - it wasn't near Islamorada probably a good 30 minutes or so before getting there.

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
13,517 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

How long ago? Some places have changed names and others may be gone completely if it was a long time ago.

Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

It was I believe in 2008 maybe? All I remember is it was our first time in the Keys - hubby and I got into Miami - got our rental - as we were driving to stay at Lookout Lodge at the time in Islamorada - and as were were driving we came across a place just right on the highway - was on our right side and we sat outside (but I don't think it was on the water), and the wild birds were flying around - rustic place but awesome tropical atmosphere.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,525 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

AJs isn't on open water. But a mangrove canal. Has birds flying around. Street view it on google earth . Except for the water thing. I can't think where else right on the road.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

Sounds like the legendary Carribean Club at MM104 in Key Largo. They have picnic benches out back and they feed the parakeets (although I haven't seen any there for a while). Google it and see if you recognize it.

It is right on the water, but fits your description perfectly other than that. It's been there forever, and allegedly some scenes for the movie Key largo were filmed there. It definitely has the tropical atmosphere you describe.

Edited: 2:29 pm, March 20, 2014
Northern Illinois
Level Contributor
141 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

Robert - I think you found it thanks.. We are coming down next year (way too long to count) exactly a year from tomorrow - with 3 families - and I would love to stop again - have a beer - on our way in. We loved the atmosphere. And will have kids with = but they would be fine outside and they would love the birds and all. - thank you so much.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,863 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

From Wikipedia:

Shortly before his death, in what turned out to be his last project, Carl Fisher developed the Caribbean Club on Key Largo as a fishing club for men of modest means, "a poor man's retreat." Eight years after his death, the Caribbean Club became famous as an "on location" filming site for the 1947 film Key Largo starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall.

9. Re: Trying to find a place we went once.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, March 23, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo