We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting to Key West from Key Largo?

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Charlotte, North...
Level Contributor
24 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Getting to Key West from Key Largo?

This may sound weird, but I have a huge fear of bridges. We're staying in Key Largo, and I think I'll be ok with the bridge getting there. But we'd like to go to Key West while we're there. If I can't handle the big bridge, is there a way to get to Key West? Maybe a boat or a water taxi type of thing? Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,912 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting to Key West from Key Largo?

The only other way is to go back up to MIA and fly.

My friend moved here with a fear of bridges - it took awhile but thankfully she overcame it and now drives herself over them where she couldn't do that before.

USA
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting to Key West from Key Largo?

My first trip down to down the keys was with a group of 10 bikes. One woman passenger was petrified to go over the seven mile bridge even though she managed the others okay.

We pulled into the parking area on the right just before the bridge and took a walk a few hundred yards out on the old bridge that goes to Pigeon Key. Her husband told her "Hey if you can do this on this old bridge without fear we shouldn't have a problem on the new one over there right? He then told her it was either that or he'd have to put a bag over her head. lol Anyways, she got across okay.

The bridge ain't that high. Looks like maybe 30' off the water except where it humps up to I'd say maybe 60-65' in one short place where the boats channel through. Then it goes back down. At no point is the bridge anywhere near taller than the power-line poles running beside it.. There are no steel grates. It is a solid concrete low-profile structure with concrete barrier rails.

3. Re: Getting to Key West from Key Largo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, January 19, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo