We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
26 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

Hi All,

This will be our first time visiting the Keys and thought Key Largo would be a great place to start. We'll be flying into MIA and renting a car to drive to Key Largo. I've been browsing the travel sites as well as this site (the forums as well as the trip reviews) but there's so much information to process! Maybe you guys can streamline our choices? We're looking for a clean, modern, and comfortable place to stay near or with a beach and we really want to stay within a $150 budget. Close to things to do but we'll have a car so we can drive to places. We aren't really pool people but enjoy swimming in the ocean and just laying and relaxing in the sun. Thanks for your help!

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
348 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

Be aware that there isn't much in the way of beaches in most of the Keys. There are a few, but not what you will encounter in other parts of FL. It is what makes the Keys unique.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

As Keysnowbird says, beaches are few and far between. Check out the Marriot, and probably more so the Hilton if having a beach is a deal-breaker. I'd rather send you to a locally owned Keysy motel/hotel, but can't think of one with what I would genuinely regard as a beach. The Hilton is somewhere where the beach genuinely looks inviting.

Be aware that there are a few places that advertise having a beach, but what they really mean is an imported sand area adjacent to the water, but not necessarily a beach that slopes into the ocean. Some have steps into the water or a climb over the rocky edge to get in ! Not really my idea of a beach.

Hopefully someone else will know somewhere with a nice beach and a bit more soul than a Hilton/Marriott.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
14,949 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

We have stayed at the Hilton and the beach is small but quite nice. You can put the loungers in the water to cool off if you want to. However, as others have said, the Keys are not known for their beaches.

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,747 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

Hampton Inn or Bayside Inn have small manmade beaches, bayside (not ocean side).

Ocean Pointe Suites has a larger beach, in Tavernier. Coconut Palm Inn may work if others are over budget and has a nice beach area also in Tavernier.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,755 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

I'd say the Hilton has the largest and most natural beach in Key Largo. 'Traveller from the UK' said it was small, and it probably is compared to Miami or the Caribbean, but it the largest I know if in Key Largo.

That area around the Hilton at least has natural sandy beaches / sandy bottom and 'pretty water'. Some of the man made beaches in other places in K.L. aren't very appealing due to very dark bottom making the water look 'black' or dirty (not a great description, but I can't think of a better word).

The Hilton is a pretty location for someone who likes the beach, although I'd prefer to stay somewhere with a bit more character personally.

6. Re: Key Largo in September, hotel recommendations?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, July 23, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo