We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Two week vacation

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Two week vacation

Hello

I am thinking about flying in to Miami and having a holiday with my wife and two children age 4 and 3 and I have some questions. How long a drive is it from the airport. Will there be enough to do for two weeks. How long a drive is Key West. Many thanks in advance. Keith

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Two week vacation

Hi Keith!

It is a little over a one hour drive from MIA to Key Largo. It is a 2 hour drive from Key Largo to Key West.

I guess it depends what you like to do. Key Largo is a bit sleepy, which is just fine for me. Most activities involve being in or on the water. Hotels will have small man made beaches as all the Keys are limestone islands.

Before I bought a home here, I lived in a suite (with kitchen) at the Marriott for 5 weeks. I wasn't bored spending nice days on the water or in the pool. On overcast days or the couple rainy days, I day tripped to shop in Miami, go to South Beach, see Everglades National Park, Mikeesoukeee Indian Village, etc. We also day tripped to Key West and visited Bahia Honda park on the way. We never felt bored, but I think it all depends what you want to do.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Two week vacation

Hello

Thanks for your really useful reply !

Upstate New York
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Two week vacation

Tarpon feeding at Robbie's. Dolphin Research Center and Turtle Hospital in Marathon. Look for deer on Big Pine Key. State parks. Eco Discovery Center and Butterfly Conservatory at Key West.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Two week vacation

Thanks chorusgurrl ! Very helpful.

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
13,556 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Two week vacation

dont forget Anne's Beach in Islamorada its perfect for the little ones, just arrive early to claim a good spot

Melbourne, Florida
Destination Expert
for Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
15,019 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Two week vacation

If you look at the Florida Keys forum you will find lots of itineraries from many visitors to the keys. Plenty to do in 2 weeks time. I would split it with 1 week in KL and another in either Marathon or Key West.

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Two week vacation

I love Key Largo, but then I am not a party person, and yet I agree you might want to consider splitting your time, but I would only consider maybe Marathon, no way would I want to spend a week in Key West with young children. And Key West is very doable from Marathon. That being said, I would spend the entire two weeks in Key Largo.

London, United...
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Two week vacation

Thanks everyone for your help. I am starting to think a nice hotel in Key Largo is the way to go !

Cheers Keith

9. Re: Two week vacation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 28, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo