We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water temps

minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Water temps

I talked to a friend of mine lastnight, they visited Key largo last May. She said she didn't swim because the water was soo cold. We have been planning a trip for the end of April. And my main reason for going to Key LArgo is to snorkel. Can anyone fill me in on the water temps. ARe we going to be able to be comfortable in the water at all?

Thank you Sherri

miami,fl
Level Contributor
142 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Water temps

Your friend is nuts. The water temp should be great. End of April you should be looking at the upper 70's.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,631 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Water temps

I'm going to Marathon the end of March, and we are going diving. I will have at least a short wet suit on to help keep my white legs warm.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Water temps

I just returned this past weekend and the water temps were 74 degrees. It was cool, but most snorkeling outfits will rent you a wet suit (half) for $6.

You should be fine.

Tavernier, FL
Level Contributor
6 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Water temps

As a Minnesotan with a condo in the Keys, I dive there 10 months of the year. The water temp was in the low 70s last week. By the end of April it should be around 80 degrees - which is typical pool temperature. I would consider a light vest or shorty to be comfortable if your planning on being in the water long. They are readily available. You should have no problems. Check out this web site: www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php…

This is a weather buoy on Molasses Reef in John Pennekamp Park in Key Largo - they have the water temp and the air temp as well as wind. Currently water temp is 75 degrees.

Have a good time! Its a great place to go.

Mark

minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Water temps

Thank you all for your replies. I will let you know where we end up going. We have to decide soon.

Get answers to your questions about Key Largo