We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

Asheville, North...
4 posts
Save Topic
jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

Hi, I am planning a snorkeling trip Aug 4-9 in the middle keys. Is this a particular bad time for jellyfish, etc?

If so, I can easily reschedule to a better time.

Thanks for your thoughts

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,485 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

I think you will be fine.

Cudjoe Key, Florida
Level Contributor
54 posts
246 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

Bring Aldolf's meat tenderizer - a doctor (neighbor) of mine says the active ingredient is best for jelly fish stings (especially the portugese man'o war). Others say vinegar (and urine), but Adolf's seems to be the best spot treatment, and then benedryl for any minor allergic reactions. Bottom line, don't worry about the very low odds chance of a jellyfish - go ahead with the trip and just take a little insurance

Key Largo Florida
Level Contributor
383 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

Ive been out to the reef 5 times in the last 10 days and havent seen any jellyfish.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,712 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

you might be able to see tons of Cassiopeia Jellyfish, which are relatively harmless, as long as you avoid them. They sit on the bottom, in an upside down position, and pulsate, so there's little chance of swimming into one.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassiopea

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,973 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

August 4 to 9 is amidst the start of regular lobster season (August 6). While the jellyfish are currently absent, there will be lots of crazies (humans) on the water. Make sure you stay close to your dive flag.

6. Re: jellyfish and other nasties found when snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, August 10, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo