We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
Save Topic
Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

My daughter is getting married in Key Largo this June. We need to find a nice place there to have the reherasal dinner. We are all the way in Texas, and do not know anything about the area or the restaurants. I have got online and tried to find one but not having much luck. Not only would we like it to have good food but on the beach and possibly with entertainment. We will have a large party. The only really nice place I found was Pierre's but it was outrageously expensive. They wanted $6,000 just for site fee and that did not count the food. I could not believe it. We live in the Dallas area where there are many very nice restaurants and I have never heard of a site fee like that. So far the people at the hotel suggested: Lazy

Days, Big Chill or Sundowners. Out of the three the one that sounded the nicest was Lazy Days. But I am not sure. Hopefully someone who has been there can give us a suggestion. I would like this to be nice since it is my only daughter's wedding. Everything there sounds kind of laid back and Jimmy Buffett, which is okay and sounds good, except maybe not for a nice reherasal dinner. Thanks.

Michigan
Level Contributor
120 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Lazy Days is one of our favorite restaurants, we can't drive by without eating there! MM80.

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

I liked the reviews for the food. Is it on the water and does it have entertainment? Will have to see how far it is from the Hilton. thx

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,962 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Definitely do not have the dinner at the Big Chill. Food is bad. Service is bad. Good place to go for happy hour drinks, music & sunset. That's it.

Don't think I would recommend Marker 88 as a dinner locale. What music next door? Next door is a motel. Have never seen a musician at Marker 88.

Island Grill has a beach area. Is on the ocean. And I love their food. But again, a driving distance from the Hilton.

I only hear good things about Lazy Days. But, I am with Blue. It is a decent driving distance from the Hilton. DUI laws are STRICTLY enforced. You don't want to have to drive 10 miles after a dinner with drinks.

I have never seen a wedding party at Snappers, but it is situated on the ocean. No beach. Less than a mile from the Hilton.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,625 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

I ate upstairs at Pierre's last year and there was what looked like a wedding reception on the adjacent venue. I'm guessing it was Morada Bay. It was very casual (no ties or even long pants) and they had a guitar player after sundown.

Here's the beach. The place was off to the left:

…photobucket.com/albums/…11.jpg

And this isn't a clear photo of the property there but it helps:

…photobucket.com/albums/…12.jpg

South Florida...
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,740 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

A couple of questions -

How large is this large party?

Do you need a beach/outdoor venue for the rehearsal dinner if the wedding is on the beach. Maybe you don't want to compete with the big day?

Florida
Level Contributor
9 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Key mom is right on with the questions, but from what you have said so far.....forget the big chill it will make you hate the keys. Snappers is a good choice close to the Hilton, maybe mandlay bay or some other options....depends on the size of your party.

Dallas, Texas
7 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Well we picked Islamorda Fish House. A friend of mine had a friend that was married there too and she recommended it. It had mixed reviews as far as the food but you get that anywhere. One thing is they are going to have her dinner out on a sandy pennisula and rope it off which will make it private and they also have fire dancers and music. So hopefully it will be nice and everyone will be happy. I know it's a little far to drive but here in Texas we are used to driving to get to places, so it should be okay. Thanks for all the good advice.

Berkshire, England
Level Contributor
15,230 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Islamorada Fish Company has a fabulous setting and I think you will be pleased that you chose it.

Edited: 6:13 pm, March 23, 2012
JENSEN BEACH
Level Contributor
11,006 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

Why drive and risk DUIs? Taxis (often vans) are plentiful in the area. The "sandy peninsula" is lovely with tiki torches etc. The food used to be awesome (plain but jumping fresh seafood). Since "expanding" and being made popular by the next door World Wide Sportsman it is still good each time we visit. I think overall you will be pleased with the choice. I am suprised no one mentioned the Bayside Grill with great sunsets and excellent food, live entertainment most nights. The Islamorada Fish Co will have more "happening" I suppose.

Florida
Level Contributor
49 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Nice Restaurant in Key Largo area?

I have lived in Key Largo since 1975. If you are having your big event at the Hilton on the Beach (which is very beautiful, by the way), then staying reasonable close is an advantage. Snappers is on the ocean- great local place out back of the restaurant- and has a nice inside for bigger parties. I have known more than one local that has been satisfied having an event there. Howard (owner) or Mike (manager) would be your contacts. Sundowners is another option on the bayside. It is at Mile Marker 104, has beautiful sunsets and does a lot of community events and bigger parties. It has a large open area, outside dining and bar outside as well. Bobbi would be your contact there. Off the water- consider Encore's. Upscale, great food and a large outside with umbrellas. Damian or Michelle could hook you up there. All these I have no hesitations in recommending. The Island Grill is great but is about 20-25 mnutes away. The other option would be Key Largo Conch House at Mile Marker 100. They do a lot weddings and have been on the Food Channel. No view unfortunatley. Laura or Ted there. Hope this helps

Get answers to your questions about Key Largo