We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drive Key Largo to FLL on a Sunday

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Utah
Level Contributor
169 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Drive Key Largo to FLL on a Sunday

I need some opinions on driving from Key Largo back to FLL on Easter Sunday for a 5:45 pm flight. We (family of 5) have never been to Miami Beach and are thinking about leaving early and driving to Miami Beach and then up 1A to FLL. We would go up the Turnpike and across the MacArthur Causeway and then up 1A back to the airport and possibly stopping to look around in Miami Beach. I am guessing that the traffic won't be too bad on a Sunday morning, but what about later in the day? What is there to see driving up 1A? Is it slow going? Would we be driving through safe areas? Thanks!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,771 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Drive Key Largo to FLL on a Sunday

You should be fine. It's only about 20 miles of two lane roads from KL to the Turnpike. There's always congestion right by MIA. You can tool around South Beach, have lunch on Lincoln Rd or wherever, then head to FLL. We have driven up A1A a few times - it's interesting for a little while. Yes, you'll be driving through safe areas. I always enjoy the drive across MacArthur. (except rush hour)

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,871 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Drive Key Largo to FLL on a Sunday

I usually drive to my cousins in Coral Gables for Easter Sunday dinner. We allow 30 minutes more than a normal Sunday because of all the folks leaving the Keys for the mainland then. This is between 3-4pm. Northbound traffic is worse later, but you will already be aboard your flight by then.

Utah
Level Contributor
169 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Drive Key Largo to FLL on a Sunday

Thank you so much for your replies!! I am a little worried about parking the car in Miami Beach with the trunk full of luggage and also about driving in areas that are not safe.

4. Re: Drive Key Largo to FLL on a Sunday

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 pm, June 17, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo