We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Miami, Everglades & Florida Keys - 10 day trip

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
13 posts
Save Topic
Miami, Everglades & Florida Keys - 10 day trip

We are a family of 3 adults flying from UK to Miami on 22nd Dec for a 10 day trip with rental car and would be grateful for any suggestions for an itinerary. The fly/drive is booked and paid for so the dates aren't flexible but everything in between still needs to be organised and we need to book accomodation asap.

It will be our first visit to the area and we plan to spend most days in the Keys (3-4 days each in Key West and Key Largo). Key West for exploring the lower keys area, and Key Largo for snorkelling or diving in the marine park. We don't want to spend much time in Miami but would like a short visit to the South Beach area at the start or the end of our trip. We are also keen walkers so wouldn't want to miss the opportunity to visit the Everglades for at least one day possibly two. Our arrival time on 22nd Dec is approx 2:30pm and our final night in Florida will be New Years Eve as we fly back 5:30pm on 1st Jan.

We are thinking SOBE(2), KW(4), KL(4) - means travelling to KW on Xmas Eve, the Everglades would be a day trip from KL and we would spend NYE in KL and drive back to airport on 1st Jan.

Another option is Airport Hotel or Florida City(1), KW(4), KL(4), SOBE(1) - Everglades could either be a day trip from KL or a short stop enroute to Miami where we would spend NYE on SOBE.

There are many other permutations such as Everglades/KL at the start and KW/SOBE at the end. Even staying longer in Miami and taking a trip to Everglades from there. It's difficult to know what are the best options and if we should take anything else into consideration before we finally decide. Also unsure which forum is best to post these general trip questions so might also post on the Key West and Key Largo forums too. Hopefully someone on one of the forums can guide us a little bit here to help us make this a memorable trip - thanks in advance for your assistance.

Canandaigua, New...
Level Contributor
2,040 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Miami, Everglades & Florida Keys - 10 day trip

I am not an expert on this forum but have experience with posting and can tell you that you do not need to repost on individual threads they all will be seen by the frequent experts.

My only suggestion is that your accommodations availability will dictate where and how long you will stay.

Anywhere from Tavernier and up to Key Largo will be near enough to visit the Everglades and the Marine Park which I assume is John Pennekamp Park.

I would think taking a look at VRBO for starters would give you an idea of what is available in private homes near the water.

B&B's , condos and hotels can be pricey at this time of year.

Edited: 5:21 pm, November 19, 2011
Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Miami, Everglades & Florida Keys - 10 day trip

I was hoping to go to KW for 3 nights between Christmas and Dec. 30 to celebrate my birthday. I have been attempting to book a room at any of the better B&B' or resorts and have found that they all have 5 night minimums and insane prices. The Gardens had nothing less than 5 nights at &485 a night. Though I don't care for La Concha, they had nothing available. Ditto with Ocean Pier, Key House, Ambrosia, Southern Most, etc., etc.

On the positive side, I don't know any places in KL requiring a minimum 5 night stay. You can easily base out of here and go to the Everglades main park entrance in 40 minutes.

Have you checked hotels in South Beach? That was my back up plan (to celebrating my birthday in KW) and could not find any availability. Ditto with Ft Lauderdale and Key Biscayne ( Marriott/Ritz Carlton).

I hope you will have good luck in finding places to stay.

UK
13 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Miami, Everglades & Florida Keys - 10 day trip

Thanks for the advice. We have now booked accomodation at SOBE - Albion Hotel (1), KW-Parrot Key Resort(4) and KL-OceanPointe(5). The Parrot Key and Ocean Pointe both have 2-bedroom suites which are ideal for us to share. We don't mind the distance from centre of KW/KL as we have a rental car. Now busily reading all the TA posts to plan what to do when we get there!

4. Re: Miami, Everglades & Florida Keys - 10 day trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:19 am, December 03, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo