We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Green Valley...
3 posts
Save Topic
getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

What is the best and most economic way to get from fort lauderdale to key largo? I wasn't sure if renting a car, taxi, shuttle? oh so many choices

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,549 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

Guess it depends how many there are of you, how much luggage, times and how many days etc.

A shared shuttle for 2 people would, I believe, be around $80 to $100 + tip round trip.

You can also have the shuttle exclusively which may mean less waiting around for other passengers, direct door to door etc.

One of the shuttle services I've heard of but not used is linked below - you can get price quotes online.

http://keysshuttle.com/

Many people rent a car, which can also cost in. You then have the car for driving about in Key Largo. What do you want to do in KL? Will you be staying in one place, say at a single resort, or do you want to be able to tour around?

If renting a car consider the cost of tolls, fuel, any insurances etc. The Turnpike is the best route (see Buffetguy's route info on these forums).

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,691 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

Greyhound is the most economic way. It makes stops at both airports and KL. A few yrs ago it was $25. Not sure what the rate is currently.

Next to that, your own rental is the next best choice. You can rent OW, drop it off and rent OW back.

Central PA
Level Contributor
3,842 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

I think you'll want a car. We rented one on hotwire.com for $18 a day.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,514 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

We have found a good way of getting to Key Largo from Miami airport which works well if you don't need a car while in Key Largo. I'm sure it would work from Lauderdale too. Book a car with Budget.com as a 1-way rental and drop it off at key Largo Chamner of Commerce (around MM97 in the median). The code for the drop-off point on the budget's website is 'KL9'.

They are the only rental company that I know of who have a drop-off point in Key Largo.

This way you can be independent, stop where and when you want to en-route, and drop it off in Key Largo if you don't need it during your stay. We keep it for an extra day so we can do grocery shopping and sort oursleves out before dropping it off. I think for 2 days rental with insurance it is about $55 + whatever the gas costs for an intermediate car, but the prices on the website seem to vary a bit each time we do it. The turnpike is only a few bucks from F.L. I think (It's $3 in tolls from Miami Airport to the keys)

Even allowing for gas it would be way cheaper than a taxi. The guy who runs the Chamber of Commerce/Budget rental in Key Largo is helpful and will even drop you off to your hotel when you return the car ! My wife and I use this in place of the Keys Shuttle minbus service.

You may prefer the shuttle if you would rather not drive, but unless you are on your own I'd say renting the car would work out cheaper as the shuttle charges $35 per person to Miami, probably more to F.L., plus tip. The shuttle runs every 2 hours (I think) and picks up/drops off pretty much anywhere in the keys. The shuttle is good, but we prefer to be independent and even for the 2 of us the car is cheaper.

If you go with Budget you can book online for your trip home in reverse if you need it. I have found booking it online is cheaper than booking it directly at the Budget office in Key Largo. You often get a better car than you have booked on the return journey as they give you whatever car they have had dropped off there.

Edited: 9:48 am, June 15, 2010
Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,869 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

Enterprise also has 1 way rental with drop off in Key Largo, MM100, but they are currently pricey. Thrifty has a drop off in Tavernier, MM92, with no extra charge. My boyfriend just used them, MIA to Key Largo and a mid size with all tolls and taxes included was $43. There were no surprises or hidden fees.

Keys Shuttle wanted $75 one way for a "scheduled" time and for a "special" pick up, wanted $265. I would never recommend using Greyhound. My former mother-in-law used them ONCE. It took nearly 6 hours between Miami and Key Largo with MANY stops and even a break down!

However, because of the distance between things in Key Largo, I would never recommend not having a car here.

Los Angeles
Level Contributor
4,523 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

Are you staying at an all-inclusive type of resort?

Most of the businesses and restaurants in Key Largo are scattered over many miles and designed for automobiles, not pedestrians.

If you want to go out to a restaurant you'll usually have to drive to get there.

7. Re: getting from fort lauderdale to key largo?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo