We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

PA
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

Okay, imagine that on September 6th, you and your husband had no children. Then, on September 7th, your nephew's girlfriend deposits her sons, aged 7,6, and 9 months, on your doorstep and drives away to go go back to living in her car and doing more drugs. Oh....and you barely know the kids at all....have never met the baby.

Imagine that she dropped said children off with nearly the clothes on their backs and you suddenly have to outfit your home with all the clothes, toys, books, furniture, etc., etc., etc., it takes to raise elementary school kids and a baby. You have no medical records, no birth certificates, no social security numbers, no nuthin'. But you still need to get them in school.

Imagine that you do all of that, fall head over heels in love with all three boys, and begin talking to a lawyer about how to adopt them.

Then, just for the heck of it, imagine that without warning, a few days before Christmas, your nephew swoops in, takes all three children away...again with basically just the clothes on their backs...and disappears into thin air.

Imagine that you learn that druggie nephew and druggie nephew's druggie girlfriend have reconciled, are living with druggie friends, and have enrolled the boys in a new school. Child Protective Services is too overloaded to add this situation to their case load, and you discover that you have ZERO legal rights. You were basically just a free 24-hr babysitter for 3 1/2 months and Mom and Dad don't ever have to let you even TALK to the boys on the phone if they don't feel like it (read: If you won't send them money).

Now imagine that you have a desperate need to run away to somewhere warm, sit on a private balcony or in the shade on a beach, and do absolutely nothing but stare at ridiculously blue water for a few days and try to let the color and warmth and tranquility begin to heal you.

Imagine that having at least a small kitchenette in your room would be great, and imagine that you're definitely operating on a budget.

Where would you go and where would you stay?

ny
4 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

OK, first off, you are doing the right thing. Just get away to this Key Largo area. Be sure to visit Pennencamp and it is very inexpensive to take a snorkel trip or a sail for about $20 into the sunset. Just being in that region will help you. There are places under $100 night if you persist. Most of the marinas have reasonable prices although not fancy at all. You are not going to stay in your room anyway. Treat yourself to some fresh fish if you like that food. Check the reviews...there is a good fish house near Pennencamp area on the ocean side and not too expensive. good luck

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,643 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

Aspen

Check your messages on TA

North Saint Paul...
Level Contributor
165 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

My heart goes out to you and those poor boys. Thank God they had you for a little while. I think the Keys are a great place to go for all that you are looking for. Sit on the beach, take a drive, go snorkeling, watch the sunsets...

I don't know what else I can do but if you and your hubby are in Key Largo anytime between March 5-12th (which is when my hubby and I are there) we would love for you to be our guests for breakfast at the Key Largo Coffee Shop, one of my favorite places in the whole world.

14. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 pm, January 11, 2008
Va
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

So sorry to hear about this, if you are interested in the week Jan 19-26 during the boat races try Olivia by Duval. I understand watching the boat races will take you away to another place. I book my flights through Allegant Air for great airfares. They fly into Fort L from limited locations, but there might be one close to you. I use them often and they are great. The drive into the Keys is great.

Key Largo, Florida
Level Contributor
349 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

Check out the reviews on the Largo Lodge. I have never stayed there, but it sounds serene.

Key Largo, FL
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

What a story! No wonder you need some healing R&R...

The Keys are a perfect place for such a getaway. This is our high season, which means the competition for rooms are fiece. And the more amenities offered, of course, the higher the price.

You can find rooms for as little as $70 and up -- but those prices won't last long. Mid-February is when our winter season kicks in gear in earnest. Make your plans now! Call the Key Largo Chamber of Commerce, 800/822-1088 for current prices or go to www.keylargochamber.org for a great overview of what's available on the island.

18. Re: HELP! Emergency R&R Needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:16 pm, September 11, 2009