We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

Key Largo Florida
2 posts
Save Topic
Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

KeysDiver is right! The locals may swing thru the new Starbucks drive-thru once for the sake of saying they checked it out, but hopefully they'll continue to do the majority of their business w/local establishments. I adore the 'new' Key Largo Coffee House... but I can totally do without the attitudes at Mrs. Macs.

I am done giving them chances to make me feel like they care AT ALL about me as a customer. I have never, repeat, NEVER gotten treated with respect there. I have NEVER gotten a decent meal, (and I'm not picky). Sorry to be a poop, but after 25 years in the hospitality industry, I know what to expect. And, before you can accuse me of having out-of-line expectations, I have given them every benefit of the doubt.

Listen, just like any other town in the U.S., there are good places and bad places to spend your hard-earned money. Some places in Key Largo simply don't deserve the locals money or patronage.

If a tourist is naive enough to pull into a place because it looks 'Key-see', then shame on them. When I travel, I seek out a local and ask where THEY spend their money :-)

Mentioned in this post
Largo
Largo
Florida
Marathon, Fl
Destination Expert
for Marathon
Level Contributor
1,107 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

Yeah, I saw in the paper where ya'll are getting a Starbucks. Where is it going to be located?

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,948 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

I am also curious as to where the Starbucks was going. Not a fan of the chains coming in.

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

Starbucks is at the traffic light at MM99, just before Largo Honda. Supposedly opens this morning.

Won't get into the 'patronize local businesses' debate here. Let's face it, we ALL shop at either Publix or Winn-Dixie and they are NOT local businesses. And how many were glad to see Home Depot come to Marathon and KW? There are good and bad places, local or not.

Mentioned in this post
Largo
Largo
Florida
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Destination Expert
for Miami, Key Largo
Level Contributor
3,753 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

I'll throw in a plug here for the book store/internet cafe/coffee bar at the Tavernier Towne Center (where the Winn Dixie is!).

I like being able to browse and buy books while I'm in the Keys so I need everyone on TA to agree to stop in, have a cuppa and buy a book.

Mentioned in this post
Tavernier
Tavernier
Key Largo, FL
key west
Level Contributor
6,101 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

Now if they'd only build an Arby's down here, you lucky sob's!!!

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

Naw.... we need a White Castle!

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
15,948 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

You mean a Krystal!

White Castle is the for the cold North!

Key Largo, Florida
Destination Expert
for Key Largo
Level Contributor
1,983 posts
203 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

When I was a kid in the 60's, I remember a White Castle in Miami. The castle building is still there. Can't tell you the street name, but it's where the Gratigny Causeway ends. I can taste them now...........

Mentioned in this post
9. Re: Patronize Local Key Largo Businesses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:20 pm, September 13, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Key Largo