We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to shop for groceries?

Which Key Largo hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
twh
lancaster SC
6 posts
Save Topic
where to shop for groceries?

Hi! We have a trip planned for the Key Largo and will be staying in an efficency so we plan on doing a lot of cooking - are there well known chains on the islands for shopping? This may sound stupid - but we have never been to the keys and I have heard how expensive things are there. I wasn't sure if I should do some shopping for non perishables before I get there.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,507 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: where to shop for groceries?

There is a Publix and a Winn Dixie in Key Largo. I don't think prices are that much different. In fact, the cheapest gas in the Keys is in Key Largo, cheaper than Florida City even.

kalamazoo, michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: where to shop for groceries?

We spend six weeks in the Keys every winter. I haven't found the cost of living to be much greater than it is in Michigan. The Publix supermarket is GREAT!!! I don't bring anything from home since the prices are very similar to what we pay at home. If you're curious, you can log on to their weekly ad pages at Publix.com. You can also see the ads at Winn-Dixie.com. When you do want to eat out, try Ballyhoos--the best food and the greatest value in the area. A complete seafood dinner (includes a good salad and awesome pretzel bread) ranges from $15-$20. Have a great Keys vacation!!!

Summerland Key...
Level Contributor
2,253 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: where to shop for groceries?

Publix has a more upscale selection than Winn-Dixie, and their bakery, deli and seafood departments are excellent. If you shop at Winn-Dixie, make sure you sign up for and use their card -- otherwise you'll pay too much for almost everything and miss some good deals on other things.

Mulhouse, France
Level Contributor
318 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: where to shop for groceries?

I personnally prefer Winn Dixie. Prices are good (compared to France and Germany) and choice is plenty. I did get the Winn Dixie card and saved money.

minnesota
Level Contributor
146 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to shop for groceries?

There is a super walmart in Florida City also. We stopped there on our way and bought a styromfoam cooler and some water.

Get answers to your questions about Key Largo