We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting KCB ?

New Jersey
9 posts
Save Topic
renting KCB ?

I am looking to rent week of Easter. I've found 2 houses one on 1st ST, and one on 3rd. Ist has ocean view, fishing pier, but house is smaller and older looking. 3rd in on canal, duplex but very nice and modern looking. Cant decide, any advice? 1st costs about 600 more per week. Is it worth the view and pier if the houseis not as nice? I can't imagine any homes there could be too bad or run down.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: renting KCB ?

All things considered, I looks like it comes down to a choice between a view of the Ocean or a little more space, but on a canal. For me the $600 for a week will be much better spent on things other than lodging.

The sun rises about 6:30, and sets about 6:30 that time of year. Are you really going to be sitting in the house watching the ocean all day long?

My guess is that both homes have a pass to the Cabana Club that is included with the rental. The Cabana Club sits right on the Atlantic, and has a pool. Plus there is a pier right next to it.

I'd take the cheaper home, with more room, forsake the view (that I can get from the Cabana Club anyway), and use the money for other fun stuff.

That's just me.

New Jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: renting KCB ?

Thanks. I took your advice. If you are familiar with the area do you have any other suggestions of places to eat, things to do etc.?

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: renting KCB ?

I'm glad you asked . . .

Places in KCB

Key Colony Inn. Just off Sadowski causeway. Good food, a little on the pricy side.

Tavern By the Sea: I've heard that it closed, and I've heard that it's still open. If open it is right next to the Cabana Club. Both indoor and outdoor seating right on the water. We've had good meals there.

Quarter Deck. Next to the Charter boats in KCB. I don't know much about the meals, but the appetizers are $.25 each.

There is also a deli next to the quarter deck. More of a general store that deli. Everything from coffee to chips, to groceries, to sandwiches to T-shirts . . . on and on

Right outside of KCB is the Island Tiki Bar, a true favorite. Good food, cold drinks, right on the gulf.

Next to the Tiki Bar is The Quay. Also indoor and outdoor seating, they have a before 5:00 menu that is a little cheaper. Both the Quay and Tiki Bar are good spots to watch the sunset.

Marathon Deli - just behind a circle K next to Radio Shack just off US 1. Good morning coffee, great pastries.

Annettes right on US 1 about MM48 ish - real good food.

Key Fisheries: gulf side on 35th Street - They are famous for their lobster ruebens, and the lobster bisque is a favorite also.

As for things to do - - -

Fishing, there are charter boats all over. I've had good luck with Main Attraction right in KCB. The par 3 golf course on 8th street. I've never played it, I probably should it might help my short game. SCUBA / snorkle, again places all over to do that, rent a boat, I've used Captain Hooks right next to KCB. Take a trip to Key West. You can Kayak around the waters in Marathon.

Not to mention hanging out at the Cabana Club doing nothing, and liking it...

New Jersey
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: renting KCB ?

Thankyou again, I will print your post and bring it with me. Do you live in KCB or have you rented there before? Do you know if you can swim in the canals there? Too dangerous? Alligators? Can you catch fish in them or do you need to go to a pier? Thanks

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: renting KCB ?

I have a home in KCB. To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee when he was talking about eating a lizard - You can swim in the channel, but it smells like sh-- !

Go to the Cabana Club. The pool is great and it's on the Atlantic. You can easily swim there.

No alligators to worry about.

I've seen a fish caught in the canals, but only once. I've not seen many people fishing though.

There is a pier right next to the Cabana Club, and I've seen people fishing off it. I've never seen anyone catch anything, but don't let that stop you.

Consider renting a boat and going out into the gulf, or under the 7 mile bridge, or in Vaca Cut.

michigan
Level Contributor
250 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: renting KCB ?

Buffettgys69

Have you seen or know much about the Ocean Beach Club, Looking for a nice realaxing beach resort. love the beach any help would be great 6/05 to adults thank you

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: renting KCB ?

Kelli-jo

Sorry, I don't kow anything about that hotel. I did read the review, and it got a great review form the one person who took the time to write about it.

South Bend
2 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: renting KCB ?

Hey Buffettguy, Thanks for the info, we are staying down in KCB next week...I do not fish....with that said, I have heard that a "charter" really isn't fishing. My son is 10, should we do a charter, which one, and how much will it cost? Again thanks for the great restaurant info. Also when I print the map off KCB page, it looks like a lot of buildings on the water, are they all restaurants, etc? Thanks, Chris

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,630 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: renting KCB ?

eyeguy

I've gone out fishing when I've reserved a boat for myself for the day or half day. This is a little more like "deep sea" fishing. I'm assuming the charter boats you are considering are the group boats where for $35 - $50 per person you go out fishing as a roup. Depending upon how much your son likes fishing, this may be a better choice for you. These boats are bigger, don't go out into the ocean as far, but don't catch as many big fish. They may catch a bunch of fish, but they will be smaller.

Grab one of the free brochures that are around the keys to get an idea of what boats are available. Pick one that is close to where you are staying. There is one just around the corner on US 1, right at Vaca Cut.

As far as the places you see on the water in KCB. Most of them are homes. On the Causway however, there both homes and there is a restaurant, marina building, deli, realtor, clothing shop, hair dresser . . .

Hope this helps, we just got back from down there Sat. Sorry to leave, can't wait to get back.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,956 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: renting KCB ?

If your son is just trying fishing for the first time, and just wants to learn a little about fishing while catching a good number of fish; I would highly recommend the Marathon Lady. MarathonLady.com We took our group 6 adults and 6 kids ages 14-8, out on the Marathon Lady last summer and had a great time. If you mention their website you get free use of a rod and reel. It's not true "deep sea fishing"; it goes to several reefs closer to shore. The crew was very helpful and taught the kids (and adults) who had never fished how to bait a hook, and cast a line. Everyone in our group caught at least one fish. My kids caught more than 10 fish a piece. There were some true fishermen aboard and they were catching many fish, most much larger than ours. It was a great 1/2 day out on the water and got our family "hooked" on fishing. One last thing, the crew will clean and fillet your fish after the trip is over. That's my kind of fishing.

Also, if you are interested in kayaking around Marathon through some great waters and mangrove islands, give Dave at Marathon Kayak a call. It's a great experience and Dave has top of the line kayaks, plus is a lot of fun to spend time with. MarathonKayak.com

Best Wishes!

Get answers to your questions about Key Colony Beach