We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

After reading all the reviews about Amelia Island it seems that we have found what we have been looking for ! My only regret is that it will be at the end of our holiday ! To maximise our time there some advice please ? Have decided not to spend much time in Tampa sure it is a fab city but when you can be in such a beautiful part of Florida it's a no brainer - we have to fly out for a 6.30 pm flight there need to be at the airport by 3 pm - would it be pushing it to leave AI in the morning to get there ?this would give us three nights .

It seems a huge distance by British standards that is not by American standards and much as we won't want to go mustn't miss our flight!!! Somehow we can forgo an eve in the Ybor district for a chance to see what sounds wonderful - thank you dlwinger for your helpful tips

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
36,611 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

I wouldn't push it that close -- you're looking at 6 hours from AI to TPA if all goes well....all it takes is one flat tyre (not even on your vehicle) to leave you standing in the airport waving as the plane takes off.

Stay in/near Tampa the night before your flight -- why make it any more stressful than necessary? Then you can get a good night's sleep, have a nice breakfast, wander International Plaza Mall and take your time getting to the airport.

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

Thanks your right it would.be pushing it a bit and that could easily spoil the whole trip!

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

Are you talking about Amelia Island (near Fernandina Beach , north of Jacksonville) or Anna Maria Island near Bradenton? Both are nice, but I thought you were traveling in March. Amelia could get a little chilly at times in March.

I don't think Anna Maria would be that long of a drive to the Tampa Airport (maybe an hour and a half). Amelia would.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

Yes, I think she is talking Amelia.

And I agree that in spring it would be too cool for me.

Amelia Island
Destination Expert
for Amelia Island
Level Contributor
343 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

I'm afraid that I will respectfully disagree about the driving time from Amelia Island to Tampa. Our guests routinely make the drive on the day of their flight. Drive time is about 3 hours and 45 minutes. The rest is dependent on your comfort level. Naturally, accidents along the way can add time to your journey, but the drive is quite do-able for a 6:30pm flight. While I'm at it, I'll also respectfully disagree about the weather in March. March and April are the two busiest months on the island. Average daily highs are 75 - 80 and night time lows are 50 - 55. An extra layer in the evenings can be in order but the days are sunny and gorgeous. Obviously, no one can predict the exact weather for here or Tampa, but records will show that spring is a fabulous time to be on Amelia Island.

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

I just said it was too cool for me there lol.

And yes, I was thinking 4 hours drive time. Combined with a 3.5 hour before flight time, gives a lot of room for problems so doable (as you can get there 2 hours ahead and be comfortable if you have checked in online).'

So, allow five hours DT to get there for 3pm, so leave before 10am.

luton
Level Contributor
116 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

We are going to book our bed and breakfast in Amelia island tommorow as I know April is a busy month and any temperature above 70 will feel scorching for us after a winter in the UK ! I love swimming so will be in that sea whatever !!!

Although it is quite far North it looks such a lovely place and glad I read up about it - feel we have a good itinery planned taking in

Miami - 3 nights

Key west / marathon / key largo - 1 night in each

I night Naples ( chance to see the Everglades )

Siesta key - 1 night

st Petersburg - 1 night

Homossasa - I night

St Augustines - 1 night

Amelia island 2 nights

Tampa - 1 night

Think we have a good variety of culture / beaches / nature / old florida / busy florida / nightlife / history

( and my favourite bit Amax - the sun skyway bridge - dreading it ! )

What do you guys think ?

UK
Destination Expert
for Florida
Level Contributor
47,094 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

I think 1 night in Siesta Key isn't enough, and that if you leave early enough you don't need a night in tampa.

Homosassa can be a day trip, not sure you need to spend the night there.

It just all seems a bit 'bitty'. Too many single nights checking out at 10am and not getting into the next place til 4 means no beach time. Living out of yoru suitcase. I'd probably spend 2 nights in one place in the keys, with one night in KW for instance. Again St A you could visit on way to/from Amelia island.

Orlando
Level Contributor
9,980 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

I agree about the "bitty" part.

In the Keys, I would stay two nights at one of your locations, instead of three nights in three different places.

I might want to see the Glades on the way up from the Keys. I would combine either Naples or Siesta Key, or I would combine Siesta Key with St Pete.

If you are going to do the Crystal River thing, or one or more of the state parks, I can see staying the night somewhere in that Spring Hill area.

I would combine the St Augustine/Amelia Island part too depending on what activity level you feel like. There is a lot to do in St Augustine; it is fun, but it can get touristy. I remember Amelia Island being pretty and much more laid back. I have been through that area, but I haven't stayed the night.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Journey from Amelia island to Tampa

We've travelled most of Florida and personally I think your itinerary is a bit too ambitious and would be better for two separate trips - or one long trip. Florida is all about relaxing and enjoying a slower pace and beautiful beaches. Each of your stops could be enjoyed for days - I don't think you will see much of anything and will spend your whole vacation behind the wheel. This is not a destination with breathtaking vistas - you won't see much from a car.

The year we drove the Keys I was disappointed with how little we saw from our vehicle - there is vegetation along the road that blocks your view. When you get out of your vehicle - you can begin to appreciate this beautiful state.

The Keys and Everglades could easily keep you occupied for one trip. The Gulf coast could take you multiple trips to really explore. The Atlantic coast has a much different flavour - but the areas are spread out and I think you will find the state is much more spread out and larger than you think. I don't think you have enough time at any destination to enjoy your trip.