We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon on Amelia Island--mid June

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
62 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon on Amelia Island--mid June

David and I are getting married on June 16, and we're flying to Jacksonville the next morning...and then going to Amelia Island. We have reservations at Elizabeth Point Lodge. Please give us some suggestions as to what to do while we're there...beside the obvious! ;-) Is it worth going on a sunset cruise on the Voyager? What about a fun place to go out for a few drinks...we don't party much, but it would be nice to relax, unwind, and celebrate. Also, what about a nice, intimate, reservation-type place for dinner? Any suggestions would be great. This is the second marriage for both of us and our best friends (another couple who have been married for 30 years) are coming with us. Thanks in advance!-- Marilou

Mentioned in this post
David's Restaurant & Lounge
David's Restaurant...
903 Reviews
Amelia Island, FL
Virginia
Level Contributor
103 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon on Amelia Island--mid June

Second time's the charm and you picked a great spot to start off. EP Lodge is very nice and right on the beach. Lots of things to do depending on your interests--including just relaxing and enjoying the beach. First off, the Chamber Music Festival will be going on. If you like that kind of music, its world class. Horseback riding on the beach, Ft. Clinch State Park, the Island's history museum, etc. are all fun day-time activities, plus the historic downtown for shopping and browsing. If you're really interested in a sunset cruise, I'd recommend spending the extra money and do a private one thru the local sailing school (Windward Sailing School). Its a much better option than being on the Voyager with a lot of tourists. Some local watering holes are The Surf on the beach, the Green Turtle and Wicked Davey's downtown--recommend the latter). For dinner there lots of downtown choices for upscale dining. Try Espana (Spanish-Portuguese), Joe's 2nd Street Bistro (Continental), Bonito's (Asian), Embers at the Addison, Beech Street Grill are some of the best. Plus, don't pass up on the out of the way places, especially for lunch--there are lots of them. For the best coffee and light breakfast (homemade pastries) and lunch or afternoon espresso go to the kofe hous on Sadler Road (next to Steinmart and CVS)--great local coffee roaster with lots of atmosphere and nice outdoor seating. Good for your afternoon pick-me-up when you've finished your outings. Enjoy the Island and good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Fort Clinch State Park
Fort Clinch State Park
2,888 Reviews
Amelia Island, FL
Joe's 2nd Street Bistro
Joe's 2nd Street Bistro
1,093 Reviews
Amelia Island, FL
Dreaming of the...
Level Contributor
14 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon on Amelia Island--mid June

For Dinners, I agree that Espana and Joe's are excellent. They are both small and intimate...a great place for a good meal and friendly conversation.

A great place for lunch is Marchet Burett (I killed the spelling) at the Plantation. You can sit outside next to the pond/fountain and have a sandwich. After lunch, walk around the store for a good bottle of wine or maybe some coffee. The other shops are not bad, but shopping is shopping.

If you are a fan of pizza, Arte Pizza on Alachua and 3rd. Not only are they the best pizza on the island, it will be some of the best you have had - add a glass of wine and you are set!

There is a little dive bar on the beach at main beach, used to be Sandy Bottoms. It was bad then...real bad. Smelt of stale beer and the previous night's party. Anyway, there is a new owner and they are trying to spruce it up. Maybe a lunch if the menu looks ok - be careful, I can't see how they could have improved the place without blowing it up.

The Surf is a good place for lunch on their deck. I have yet to go to Sliders, however I hear that is good for lunch. Sliders is on the beach at Sadler - Just less than a 2 mile walk down (South - face the ocean and go right) the beach from EPL.

Mentioned in this post
Arte Pizza
Arte Pizza
734 Reviews
Amelia Island, FL
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,836 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon on Amelia Island--mid June

Congrats and I also agree the you will be very happy with Elizabeth Pointe Lodge. I would second a visit to Fort Clinch, they also have horse drawn carriage rides through the park that is very romantic. When you go in towm make sure you visit the Palace Saloon, the oldest saloon in Florida. The last post mentioned Sliders, it is right down the street from where you will be, it's an upbeat beach bar with pretty good food and great drinks. I know you will have a wonderful time.

Mentioned in this post
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
Elizabeth Pointe Lodge
720 Reviews
Amelia Island, FL
Palace Saloon
Palace Saloon
229 Reviews
Amelia Island, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
4. Re: Honeymoon on Amelia Island--mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:19 am, August 31, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Amelia Island