We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Last Minute Drive and a Day

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
Last Minute Drive and a Day

Heading to Miami last minute this Thursday morning, bringing the wife and taking day off Friday to drive to Key West for the weekend. Leaving Miami early Friday AM (like 8am early) to start the drive.

We've been to Key West before, never made the drive though. Question is where should we stop? Not going to be in a big hurry so any and all suggestions welcomed. Interested in food stops, photo opportunities, place to get Cuban coffee & any other highlights / can't miss stops.

Thanks on advance for the help.

smf

Fort Lauderdale...
Destination Expert
for Fort Lauderdale, Miami
Level Contributor
12,533 posts
209 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

8am will be rush hour, so depending on where in Miami you're leaving from you'll wan to factor hat in. Stop at MrsMacs for a late breakfast early lunch, stop and feed the Tarpon at Robbie's, maybe grab a sub at Publix and picnic at Anne's Beach.

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

Try Juice Paradise for a taste of Cuba as well as La Nina - Both in Marathon.

Sunshine Bakery in Tavernier for cuban coffee too.

As mentioned, Robbies' is a must stop. The restaurant right there, Hungry Tarpon, is also really good. It's a better stop on week days then weekends. Also - take a look in the right hand column -------> links at the top in blue with suggestions on here and the Key West forum.

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

I thought I posted a thank you response the other day but it didn't show - thank you both for the responses.

I had not considered that 8AM will be rush hour leaving Miami - think I'll move that up an hour to 7AM.

Looked at each of the recommendations and they all look fantastic. Really appreciate the responses.

Thanks again - smf

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

In no particular order, just as I think of them:

If its a nice flat calm day stop at John Pennekamp State Park MM 102 and go out on the glass bottom boat. The first one leaves about 10am or 10.30, I think, so you'd make it if you don't get held up in Miami. If its blowing more than about 10mph max give that a miss as it can be miserable if its choppy.

I would stop at Bahia Honda state park for sure. About MM38, can't miss it. Great beach, nice for a wander around and up onto the old bridge, even if you don't want to get wet.

We like to walk or bike the old 7mile bridge also (the 2 miles of it you can get onto), MM47 ish. There is a a bike store about a mile before on the right called Overseas Outfitters who rent bikes. It's not a long ride, youd be there and back in an hour or so, but still good. If its not choppy you can see stingrays, turtles etc from the bridge often. You can go onto the island at the end of the old bridge (Pigeon Key) if the history of the railroad etc interests you. People take picnics and just chill out there even if they have no interest in the historic side of the island - it's about $12 each though for admission and the tour so prob not worth it for a quick,stop-off.

Sombrero beach is also nice in Marathon. Turn off left down the side of KMART in Marathon and follow for a couple of miles. Gets crowded at weekends I imagine (as do Most things in the Keys)

Sparky's landing is a nice lunch stop. Turn left in Marathon about mm53 into the Key Colony Beach neighborhood (Sadowski Causeway) and its about a half mile on the left. Nice food, nothing at all fancy, on the water and sensible prices. If you drive past Sparkys and make the next right there is a small Sunset Park on the left. It's small, but a nice 5 minute stroll onto the small pier. It would also be another nice spot to eat a picnic away from the roar of US1 traffic. It's a park for the Key Colony neighborhood, but I've never had any problems eating or wandering in there. It doesn't say private or anything and is a nice quiet spot 99% of the time.

If you prefer a picnic lunch stop at Chad's Deli on the right about MM92 in Tavernier. They do awesome subs to-go. They are HUGE and all freshly baked, made to order. Makes subway look like a joke ! Grab some subs and eat them at Anne's Beach maybe (someone else mentioned Annes beach) or hold out until Bahia Honda if you can without eating them !

I agree about Robbie's marina. Not a lot there really, but feeding the tarpon is fun. If you had more time rent a kayak and paddle out to Indian Key from there. Prob 3 hours round trip really though to kayak there and explore.

Hard to think of much more without knowing what specifically interests you.

Florida Keys...
Level Contributor
1,556 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

Just thought of the No Name Pub on Big Pine Key also. Turn right at the traffic light in Big Pine Key and keep right immediately after youve turned right, as the road forks. Follow that 2 or 3 miles (maybe a bit further) and then just keep following the signs that divert you around the residential neighborhood (left and 2 rights I think).

It's a bit tucked away, but a funky pub with decent food and really nice pizza. We liked it. They were friendly too, but not everyone seems to the so ???

Texas
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

All sound like great ideas - appreciate it Robert.

Hershey...
Level Contributor
223 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

Wife and I drove from Miami to KW and back this past May. We stayed two nights in Key Largo. Seemed like a perfect distance getting out of Miami for a few days.

Only real suggestion I can give you is for lunch. Island Grill is great!!! tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34346-d63… Can't say enough about that place. Was perfect place to set the mood for the rest of the trip.

~Bob~

8. Re: Last Minute Drive and a Day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, August 10, 2014