We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging in upper Keys

Michigan
Level Contributor
296 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
lodging in upper Keys

We're traveling with a large group to Key West the first week in April, flying in to FLL on Friday, Mar. 31. Since we're waiting for other members of our group to arrive on Saturday, we're only driving as far as Islamorada (at most) the first day.

We want to keep our options open, just find a spot that looks good and stop for the afternoon/night. Are we going to find a lot of "no vacancy" signs at this time of year in the upper Keys or can we just wing it? Anyplace you'd recommend?

Our other option is to just beach it in Lauderdale for the day, but the couple we're traveling with has never seen the Keys. I'd think they'd enjoy that more.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
H2O Suites Hotel
H2O Suites Hotel
#1 of 51 hotels in Key West
Orchid Key Inn
Orchid Key Inn
#2 of 51 hotels in Key West
Almond Tree Inn
Almond Tree Inn
#3 of 51 hotels in Key West
Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,676 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging in upper Keys

Figure that driving time to Islamorada will be about 2 1/2 hours from FLL. Much of what you will see from FLL to Islamorada is not what you'll see from there to Key West. There are something like 42 bridges in the keys, and 30 of them are from Marathon to Key West.

I feel you can easily take a day and nose around Islamorada. World Wide Sportsman, Lattiude 25, and stopping in at some other stores will soak up 1/2 day at least.

As far as finding no vacancy signs - - - The end of March is towards the end of the "season" as it were. You may find "no vacancy" signs, and you may not. If it were me, I'd commit one way or the other, and make reservations in either Islamorada or FLL. That way I wouldn't have to worry about it.

If you want to stay in Islamorada, I'd look at Cheeca Lodge for an upscale place to stay. Holiday Isle if I wanted to be near the action, and The Islander has gotten some good reviews, but I personally don't know anything about it.

Mentioned in this post
Islamorada
Islamorada
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Marathon
Marathon
Florida Keys, FL
Cheeca Lodge & Spa
Cheeca Lodge & Spa