We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys in February

ireland
Level Contributor
175 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Keys in February

Hi

We (4 adults and 3 children, age 14, 13 and 5) are planning on visiting the keys from 13th to 20th February and would like advice on what the weather will be like, and suggestions on accommodation.

Thanks

Mayoladyireland

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,712 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keys in February

February temps range between 65 - 75. Days are usually sunny and warm, might need a sweater in the evening -

Annual chart for weather averages --

http://keywestsfinest.com/weather.htm

Marathon, Florida
Destination Expert
for Marathon, Islamorada
Level Contributor
14,787 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keys in February

February can be very very warm or "chilly" by Florida standards. By chilly I mean high 60's low 70's in the day - occassional low 50's at night. Or it can stay 70's the whole time. Windy at times too. Long sleeve T-shirt and shorts usually do for most days.

February is a very busy time in the Keys - make sure you have your accomodations booked ahead of time.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keys in February

I agree 100% with Bluewater but I also want to add that the water can be chilly too. You might need some sort of wet suit if you plan on diving or snorkeling.

Charlotte, North...
Destination Expert
for North Carolina
Level Contributor
2,949 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Keys in February

My daughter and I were in the Keys this past January and had a wonderful time. We mostly had great warm weather and spent days at the beaches/ in the water; and nights eating at some great restaurants sitting in their outdoor waterfront seating. When we weren't in our swimsuits, we wore shorts and t-shirts during the day; maybe a long sleeve T-shirt at night. While snorkeling my daughter used her wetsuit, I did not; it's probably best to wear a wetsuit if you plan to snorkel/stay in the water very long, and they can be rented fairly cheap.

On our last full day, a cold front moved in and the weather changed drastically. The wind was "blowin' like a hurricane", and it was very cool; some people might say "cold". We ended up buying sweatshirts and wearing long pants. So just be prepared. My parents spend their winters in South Florida, and these cold fronts happen from time to time, but mostly they enjoy warm, sunny winters.

As for a place to stay with kids in the Keys, I recommend somewhere in the middle Keys. There's lots of family friendly activities in the area and the best beaches in the Keys.(make sure to include a day spent at Bahia Honda State Park) I do recommend a fun filled day trip to Key West, however.

Key Colony Beach in the middle Keys is a great little community, very family friendly. There are many vacation rental homes in that area; many come with a membership to the Cabana Club there, which offers a nice beach, and a oceanfront heated pool area. www.thecabanaclub.info/gallery_vis_cc.html

There area also rental homes/condos in and around nearby Marathon, and also several resorts in the middle keys which have multi-room suites.

We usually find our vacation rental homes through VRBO.com and have always had good luck with that.

Here's a link to the Marathon area tourism guide (Key Colony listings are mixed in) http://www.fla-keys.com/marathon/

5. Re: Keys in February

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:21 am, February 25, 2010