We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Keys accomodations and weather in December -- Advice wanted

alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
286 reviews
Save Topic
Keys accomodations and weather in December -- Advice wanted

We're planning a 7 -day visit to the Keys the week between Christmas and New Years. We normally like to stay in a single spot (apartment or condo rather than a hotel room) rather than move around and assume that one can do "day trips" relatively easily from one place. Can you recommend a location which would suit this purpose and ways to find such accomodations? Are rental agencies the way to go? Or is it best to go to different locations for a few nights each? Also, what is the weather likely to be? Thanks for any suggestions.

Key Colony Beach...
Destination Expert
for Florida Keys
Level Contributor
7,624 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Keys accomodations and weather in December -- Advice wanted

For me, I would look at staying in the Marathon area. Marathon is right smack-dab in the middle of the keys. 1 hour to Key West and 1 hour to Key Largo. Islamorada is 1/2 hour away.

Here are some website that you can look through to see if you like a spot. If so email the owner and ask questions. No cost to ask questions.

www.vrbo.com

www.rentalo.com

www.gulfcoastrentals.com

Look at places in Key Colony Beach. This is right next to Marathon. I am partial to KCB, as I have a home there. Most rental spots come with a pass to the Cabana Club. The Cabana Club is a private club with a pool, bar and grill, and it's right on the Atlantic.

Naperville, IL
Level Contributor
372 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Keys accomodations and weather in December -- Advice wanted

I agree with Buffettguy on KCB. We really like it because it is so centerally located, is quiet and safe and it is one spot in the Keys that has a small beach.

Predicting the weather is the hard part of your question. We have been there many times for Christmas/New Years and have seen sunny mid to upper 70's as well as 68 and raining - hard. So, I guess it's just the luck of the draw. I'm from the Chicago area and it's always nicer (warmer) in the Keys in Dec. than it is here.

alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
7 posts
286 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Keys accomodations and weather in December -- Advice wanted

thanks for the help. I have been doing some research on rentals per your suggested web sites. Weather is always pot luck but I suppose 60s and rain is better than 30s and snow!

much appreciated.