We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jacksonville Area Beaches

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Jacksonville Area Beaches

Some friends and I are planning a week-long trip to the Jacksonville Beach area in Sept. None of us have ever been to this area and wanted to know which beaches (Jacksonville, Neptune, Ponte Vedra, Atlantic, etc) were the nicest to stay at. We usually vacation in Hilton Head Island and were looking for locations with an atmosphere and feel similar to that. Also, we plan to rent a condo for the week, so I would love to hear of any recommendations.

Jacksonville
Level Contributor
2 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jacksonville Area Beaches

It depends what you're looking for. Atlantic is nice and clean usually- a little harder to park unless you go down aways (heading North on some tight one way roads)- mostly locals and surfers on Atlantic. If you head inland a mile or so from Atlantic Beach - you can head north on Mayport Rd and thn look for signs on right for Hanna park- has nice facilities ($3 fee?). Jax Beach is more crowded and not the cleanest beach around- ok if looking for boardwalk/bars/ crowds etc. Ponte Vedra is nice- hard to park though (limited parking) and down aways- i reccommend Guana River State park if willing to head xtra 20 min south of Ponte Vedra- nice beach. Where to stay? Never heard anybody complain abt Sea Turtle Inn(on Atlantic Beach) although is not cheapest place to stay. Have fun!

JACKSONVILLE
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Jacksonville Area Beaches

It all depends on what you are looking for and what your price range is. Ponte vedra is very nice but also very pricey. Hilton head is probably closest to Ponte Vedra, because there are extraevagent golf courses, and nice resturants.

But if you want a laid back, beachy, surfer, atmosphere I would recomend Neptune Beach, it has not as expensive, and sort of has a different atomsphere.

The other two beaches you named are nice but are mostly residantal.

Neptune Beach...
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Jacksonville Area Beaches

I would recommend staying at the Sea Turtle in Atlantic Beach. Just cross the street from the Sea Turtle, and you are in Neptune Beach. There are a lot of cute shops and restaurants in the area, all within walking distance, which is great with parking at a premium. Jacksonville Beach is a lot busier, with more of a nightlife, but easy to get to should you desire to head down that way.

Charlotte, NC
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Jacksonville Area Beaches

Thanks for the Ponte Vedra Beach recommendation. We stayed there last week (Labor Day week) and it was exactly what we were looking for!

5. Re: Jacksonville Area Beaches

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:18 am, August 23, 2009