We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manatees?

auckland
Level Contributor
209 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Manatees?

Will we see more/better manatees from Crystal River or Homosassa?

We want to swim with them and there are so many tours - any reccommendations would be appreciated, thanks

3 replies to this topic
Elk Rapids, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Lanai
Level Contributor
9,451 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Manatees?

You can certainly see them at the Homosassa Springs Wildlife Park.

You can only legally swim with them in the Crystal River (Kings Bay). It is the only place in the USA where the law regarding encounters with marine mammals is suspended.

I have never used any tours so can't help you there. We were in Homosassa a few weeks ago and they had 4 manatees in the springs and one in their rehab pond.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
685 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Manatees?

I keep reading this. We swam with them in Homosassa Springs last January (with American Pro Divers). Have the rules changed since then? I notice the town boat rental places still offer tours and still say you can rent a boat and swim with them on your own. I am VERY confused trying to figure out what the real rules are?

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
685 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Manatees?

Here now. You are definitely allowed to swim and snorkel with manatees in the springs. And you don't need a tour. You can rent a boat or kayak. I don't know why people are writing this.

Reply to: Manatees?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Homosassa Springs
More Homosassa Springs Topics