We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Outdoor activities in November

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Outdoor activities in November

Okay change of plans, Florida trip will be November instead of February.....

We are planning to spend a few days in Homosossa and our vacation rental comes with canoes.....will the weather be decent enough to enjoy canoeing ?....how about alligators and snakes....are they a concern in the local rivers and canals ?.....

Would appreciate any information anyone can provide....Thanks

River Safaris And Gulf Charters
Boat Rentals, Boat Tours, Speed Boats Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Snorkel With The Manatees
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Fishing Charters & Tours, Private Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching
Blue Heaven River Tours
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours, Boat Tours
Homosassa Manatee Snorkeling Center
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Boat Tours
Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Outdoor activities in November

November is a nice time of year. The high will probably be about 80 and the lows in the mid 50's . So...it is a nice time of year to visit. It should be beautiful canoeing weather. I have never seen any alligators or snakes in the Homosassa River although there probably are some. If you are canoeing, there is nothing to worry about. Also, people swim in the river and knee board and stuff. Gators are more afraid of you than you are of them, and they tend to stay away from people so I wouldn't worry. Seeing a manatee is more likely. They come up in the river in cooler months to get out of the ocean. Homosassa Spring where everyone swims maintains a tempature of 72 degrees year round. :o)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Outdoor activities in November

Thank you for the information Murphy.....I see you are a local in that area of Florida, so now you get to field a few more questions....

The website for the rental we are interested in (Homosassa) says that there is a beach on the gulfcoast 20-30 minutes away from the house....do you know which beach this would be ?

Is the ocean swimmable there at that time of year or are the waves too high ?.....

If we wanted to add another week to our trip to spend right on the gulf, which beach community offers less crowded beaches (fewer condos) and maybe a beach that is swimmable ??....Thanks so much for your advice.......

Tampa, FL
Level Contributor
2,117 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Outdoor activities in November

The closest beach is probably Fort Island Gulf Beach or Hernando Beach. The waves are never too high in the Gulf so you should be fine. The water will be way cooler than in summer months though. Keep in mind that I was born and raised in Florida so anything below about 75 is cold to me. :O) So you guys may be fine in the water. I usually never go to the beach at either of these places so I can't really comment on them. I only go to Homosassa to scallop during the summer months. As far as beaches that are nice and not too crowded........I love Anna Maria Island and Siesta Key (voted #1 beach in America a couple of years ago) which shouldn't be too crowded in November, but they are farther south. St Petersburg Beach may also be a good option. It's close to Tampa but still south of Homosassa. Panama City Beach would be good too at that time of year. It gets very crowded for Spring Break, but should be very low key in November. :O)

Here are some links you may find interesting. :o)

goingoutside.com/beach/1000507_Fort_Island_B…

goingoutside.com/beach/1000512_Hernando_Beac…

www.siestakeychamber.com/beaches.php…

http://www.annamariaislandchamber.org/

http://www.floridasbeach.com/

Homosassa, Florida
Level Contributor
148 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Outdoor activities in November

Hi,

Just to give you my thoughts. People come to the Homosassa, Crystal River area for the water, yes. Beaches, not so much. Lots of stuff to do, canoeing, kayaking, airboat trips, manatee tours, even a helicopter tour but we are really not known for our beach.

Hope you have a good time.

5. Re: Outdoor activities in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, October 03, 2009