We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

Which Holmes Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

Hi - I am getting married here 22nd February. Any suggestions/tips? Was thinking of a 5P or 5:30P ceremony. Don't want to get too cold! Will we be ok that time of evening? Is it warm on their deck? Any white wine or dinner suggestions there?

Staying at Harrington House Spindrift room. Any comments on this property?

Any travel/bridge/getting to Anna Maria from Bradenton info? Guests are staying at Holiday Inn Express West Bradenton.

Thanks for any help!

J.C.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

Congrats Judy and I think that you have picked the perfect place. We love the Harrington house, it is wonderful. We have stayed in the Sprindrift room many time, it is downstairs and right by the pool. It is small room but ver nicley appointed. My favorite room is the Birdsong, upstairs with a great balcony but the Spindrift is very comfortable. Their breakfast is really, good, stuffed french toast and a brunch pie that we often duplicate at home. They also serve home baked cookies in the afternoons, ummy. As far as the weather, this is Florida so it could be cold or warm, you really wont know until the week before, if then. It certainly will noy be anything like Wisconsin. I would think 5:00. 5:30 would be perfect, check the newspaper or net to see when the sunset will be and plan around that. Are you having the Harrington House cater the event? They do a great job. As far as places to dine, the best place on the island for a upscale, romantic dinner is The Beach Bistro, go on line and take a look, it has won many awards. The Sign of the Mermaid is very good and for more casual dining we like the Sand Bar, Sun House and Rotten Ralphs. The best burger by far is at Duffys. The Harrington House can tell you how to get to these places and offer other suggestions, if you have any other questions feel free to post them.

Tomahawk, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

Rustycat - We are having the actual wedding at the Sandbar restaurant on Anna Maria.

Any feedback on this place for this type of event? Any favorites on the menu? I've heard it is good food?

TIA, Judy

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,778 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

The Sandbar is a great place, it has a wooden deck that is actually in the sand a few feet from the water. The fun is not elabrate but good, we usually get burgers there but have had the fish and steak which is good. They have an awesome artichok dip that they serve with brown bread. I will tell you that service there can be a problem, it is always crowed and loud, although in Feb. it might not be too bad. I've never seen a ceremony there and I am just wondering if they are doing something special for you. Have you talked to the Harrington House at all about catering and having the wedding there? I dont know how expensive it might be but while staying there we have seen a couple of weddings take place and they were just beautiful, the grounds are lush and you have the back drop of the water and beach. They had the ceremony on the beach, wine and appetizer around the pool and then a light dinner with candle light in the main house where breakfast is served, (right off from the room you are staying in) very impressive, simple but really romantic. Just a thought.

Tampa
Level Contributor
113 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

Actually, February at the Sandbar is packed. This is when all the European tourists are on the island. Don't let this worry you, though. The Sandbar handles tons of weddings. They set up chairs and tents off to the side, on the beach, away from the actual restaurant itself. The only issue could be parking, but at 5:00, it shouldn't be a problem.

The food is pretty good. We eat there all the time. Typical "tropcial" island fare--salads with fruit, fish, burgers, sandwhiches, etc.

Your guests would probably have more fun renting private homes on the island. There are many, many properties for rent at reasonable rates. Most are very casual places--nothing fancy, but nicely furnished and comfortable. This site lists numerous properties: http://www.mikenormanrealty.com/. Most do require at least a week's stay, but, if guests double up, it might be worth it even if they pay for a week and only stay a few days. There is nothing to see in Brandenton--it would be better to be on the island itself.

5. Re: Wedding at Sandbar restaurant/stay at Harrington House

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 pm, August 16, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach