We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

detroit michigan
Level Contributor
230 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

We just returned from a two week rental through Island Vacation Properties. I had no problem renting the unit with them processing my payment. The problem began when we had to rent two different units in the same complex which required us moving the middle Saturday. I had no problem with this. I did ask IVP if they could get the cleaners to clean the second unit early on their cleaning list as we would have all our clothes and food in our car waiting for a move in. They said no problem. On moving Saturday the maids were at our door at 9am(checkout is 10). I told them we would be out in an hour. I then received a nasty phone call from the maid's supervisor who told us we had to move immediately for them to clean. I called the rental office with no effect. We moved out. My husband drove to IVP office at noon, then 2 trying to get the key. Finally, at 5 to 3 he drove there as we still did not have our unit available. The office was closing at 3 and we still had no place to move in. They were unconcerned and said when our unit was later cleaned they would leave the key in the IVP box outside their office door. Although they knew we were waiting there was no call from the IVP notifying us what to do. We expected them to call when our unit was ready as they had promised. Apparently when it is closing time they leave and have no concern for renters problems. We finally did get the key a short time after, not with their help. As far as we were concerned we lost a vacation day trying to move.

The final straw was the final Saturday when we were leaving. At 7am the doorbell to our unit rang and it was security. We had not seen a security person the entire time we were there but he wants to know if Pedro is there. Of course we were then awake and packed for our long drive.

We liked our unit, but felt Island Properties was interested only in renting a unit and offered no customer service from that point.

Anna Maria Island...
Level Contributor
56 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

Well if you just returned from a two week vacation that means you were here on AMI during the BUSIEST WEEKS OF THE YEAR!

You cannot expect rental companies to make a special cleaning exception for you since you are moving units. You should have booked earlier in advanced to ensure you would not have to move. I do agree with you that IVP should have made more of an effort in the customer service department and that is FOR SURE.

I hope you enjoyed our little island but cut the local employee's a break and SMILE.

AMI
Level Contributor
166 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

Your only legitimate complaint was that someone told to check out early. The rentals agents terms clearly state that check out is 10:00am and and check in is 4;00 pm. So, it looks like you checked out an hour early but you also checked in an hour early.

Could they have done more for you? Probably.

Should you have written a negative review because they didn't meet your special needs and that report is read by thousands, probably not.

Just curious, where did you stay? I'm not aware of any complexes that hire outside security And, why was it the rental agents fault that someone from security rang your doorbell at 7:00am? They don't provide security.

uk
Level Contributor
80 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

I regularly rent from Island Vacation Properties (in fact will be doing so again this Saturday). I've always found the staff really helpful and friendly. I'm sorry you've had a bad experience but I feel it could be a one-off as we've always been very happy indeed with the service.

Anna Maria
10 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

Sorry to hear about your experience.

We transport many customers from Island Vacation Properties and by now we heard only good words about them.

You probably really had just bad luck as you vacationed on one of the most craziest weeks on Anna Maria Island.

I'm sure you must admit that IVP cannot be held responsible for someone ringing your doorbell at 7:00am.

Again, probably just bad luck.

Besides this inconvenience we hope you enyoyed this little paradise

Ohio
Level Contributor
736 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

I have rented from IVP with out any problems and was happy with the service, so I'm sorry to hear about this circumstance.

I think what readers are missing is that Karen stated that IVP said "no problem" to her request to have the second unit cleaned early on the cleaning list. (I can't help wondering though, if there was a mixup with housekeeping to clean the FIRST unit early, hence the hour-early knock on the door.) Likely, if IVP told her that it may not be possible given the very busy period, I'm sure she would have planned accordingly. Given the additional customer services issues, I think her complaint is valid.

detroit michigan
Level Contributor
230 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

Another problem with Island Vacation Properties: I rented two units over the two week period and paid $40 per unit for security for damage. When I paid this I assumed it would be returned when the vacated units were clean and undamaged. IVP told me they keep all these fees as 'some units are left damaged so the $40 paid by every renter helps to assuage their damage costs in damaged units". I resent paying for someone elses damage.

detroit michigan
Level Contributor
230 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

Bermuda Bay

The security person statedhe was from IVP.

Newport, Rhode...
Level Contributor
681 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

I am a realtor from the northeast, I have known the IVP staff for 22 years, from when they worked for another established realtor and before these rental agents became realtor/brokers and licensed property managers.

I find it hard to believe that such a well regarded agency would retain a damage deposit from any guest not directly responsible for damage/loss. Please give us more details.

Edited: 9:19 pm, May 03, 2013
United States
Level Contributor
6,555 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

I wasn't planning on commenting on this post, but I've read it and did find it to be interesting. Interesting at how some people immediately assumed Karen was wrong, and some who were more fair, and admitted that although they didn't have any problems with the company, Karen might have a legitimate complaint.

First of all, I would think IVP would rather give back the $80 than have someone complain about them on TA where it would be read by a lot of potential customers. Secondly, I went to their website and looked at the property in question. The $40 per each unit was for "Damage Waiver Insurance". It wasn't a deposit. I wonder if that fee was something that could have been negotiated, and deleted, before the rental took place. I'm sure I've done that before. It's too late to help Karen on that one, of course.

I guess we all have bad experiences with companies when other people have no problem with them. I'm sorry Karen had the problem at all, but I'm surprised IVP hasn't posted on TA regarding this incident in order to defend themselves.

Edited: 10:00 pm, May 03, 2013
10. Re: IIf there is a problem don't expect Island Vacation Property

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, May 05, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach