We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

I wasn't going to post on our rental with Mike Norman Realty until after I heard something from them or at least a week, but after reading AMICHIP's post, I feel I need to do this now and then update later if needed.

Please see email sent to them in follow up to onsite visits and requests:

Good Morning Rochelle and Carla-

I wanted to take a moment again to express my concerns over the 519 Bayview Home in Holmes Beach.

On Monday I brought in a list of 20 items that needed fixing/attention at the home.

On Monday evening, the pool cleaner did come and take care of the initial cleaning/shock and weekly maintenance.

He was pleasant and said the pool was in very bad shape. He also suggested not swimming for the evening due to the chemicals he had to put in.

(No swimming on Saturday, once on Sunday after I shocked myself, then nothing again until Tuesday).

On Wednesday, the cleaner came again and had to adjust all the filters, the pump, and added more chemicals- No swimming evening of Wednesday. This cleaner did fix the pool light and was also kind enough to trace and fix the deck light issue. No one from Mike Norman contacted us to fix them.

They told us they would be back one more time- no show though unless they came on Saturday before the new renters arrived.

No one came out to check on the A/C's- thank goodness my experience with A/C units allowed me the knowledge to defrost and get working.

No one came to check the leaks in the master bedroom caused by this AC unit.

No one came to change the Damp Rid Bags- Mold and must smell was over the top. We learned very quickly why the house was filled with Yankee Candles.

We never received any updates on fixing the dishwasher, the ice machine, the wine cooler or looking at the dryer that wouldn't dry. When I did call about the 5 snakes around the pool area, I was offered to have someone come out and try to "shoe" them away if someone in the party was really upset. Needless to say, I took care of it myself. I don't know if other renters would have done the same.

As I had stated before, we have rented homes for over 20 years on the Gulf Coast. Both by owner and through rental agents.

Being our first time on the island, we decided to go with a rental agent and pay a premium for the rental to ensure we had a nice home, a good location, and service behind us if anything was wrong.

Needless to say, this rental was by far the worst experience we have had. Even having neighbors question and show concern for us is almost unheard of.

Then to top off the vacation, we get an email from you upon our return looking for sheets? Really?

With all the issues we had, we still made sure beds got stripped, towels got washed, trash was placed correctly in bins (along with ensuring the trash actually made it out- unlike the previous dirty diaper renter) and the floor was swept- (we did actually get a broom and dustpan!- THURSDAY!).

You have a good reputation on Trip Advisor so we chose you. Never did we expect to have such an experience. Mostly, I am surprised that your rental agency has not done anything to try and make our stay or experience better other than repay me for the chemicals and skimmer I had to purchase to get a few moments in the pool.

I hope your cleaners have found the missing sheets and I hope that your next renters have a better experience because of our list to you.

I hope that you will find some way that your agency can help to offset our experience, because at this time, we would not consider returning to your agency. I would rather advise friends, relatives, and the trip advisor community of service received by you for our inconvenience rather than our lack of service from you.

Bradenton, Florida
Level Contributor
5,427 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

I am sorry to hear this. Mike Norman has had an excellent reputation over the years. Hopefully they will see this and respond.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

@kris48

The reputation is what led us to Mike Norman.

I sent the above email to them on Monday and have yet to hear anything- other than the "where are the sheets" via email and two calls to our home number while we where traveling.

I responded to them that they had been washed and most likely still in the washing machine, but I have not heard anything back from them on that either.

I am not trying to make waves by any means, but a response and a possible discount would be nice. At least that would show they care about their reputation and their renters.

I only hope the next renters fair better than we did.

I would really like to update this post with POSITIVE information.

Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

Sorry that you had such a bad experience with Mike Norman, I have to say that I am very surprised. This rental company has been around forever and we have rented from them as well as friends and family and have never had anything but excellent results.

I indeed hope that they will repond to you and you can report back to us with postive information. Please let us know.

Burlington, Vermont
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

Sorry to say that as the island has become busier the standard of service has dropped with many of the island businesses. It really does seem to be a case of just move on to the next customer. My mother rented from Gulf Coast rentals in May and June last year and had a terrible experience. Never again according to her. Contrary to the other posters addressing your complaint on here this is not the first time I have heard negative things about Mike Norman.

Berwick, Maine
Level Contributor
140 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

Well- it has officially been a week since my last email was sent to Mike Norman Realty. I have followed up again today to see if anything will be responded to.

@ AndrewMc78- after the experience we had, not only with the house, but with the service on the island (SAVE ONLY FOR BEACH BUMS and one waiter at the Bridge Street Bistro)- we too have the same feeling as your mother- Never again!

It really is too bad because the beaches are nice, but my money will not be going back into the pockets of those that don't appreciate it.

It seems many of them don't realize that if it was not for us and our tourist dollars- their economy goes away.

Many other islands to explore on the gulf and many to return to that we love.

They will be most happy to get our $$$-

Sorry Anna Maria-

your beaches are beautiful, but in our minds right now- you will be forgotten.

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
8,640 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

AMI has been a victim of it's own success .... it was bound to happen.

Edited: 10:20 am, April 09, 2012
Tampa
Destination Expert
for Anna Maria
Level Contributor
4,800 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

It's still paradise to me.....but I do understand all of your concerns. We are fortunate enough to live here and can go when the tourist have come and gone.The fall is my favorite time of year, you can watch the sunset on the beach and only encounter a few other vistors, the restuarants are all welcoming and happy to serve you and the weather is perfect for my taste Sorry some of you are not enjoying the island we call paradise. Let us know if you find anywhere else in Florida that meets your expectations, we'll give it a try.

scotland
Level Contributor
170 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

I agree with Rusty. We live in an inner city with high crime rates, awful weather & pretty unpleasant people. Whilst I'm not unsympathetic to the frustrations & disappointment of others, this place is paradise to us. Like Rusty & her family we tend to come to the island not in peak season so have not really encountered the bad traffic & rude serving staff. Nowhere's perfect 100% of the time but for me I've yet to find somewhere I like better. I'm not looking through Rose coloured glasses just telling you what works for me & my family. I understand others may feel differently.

Anna Maria FL USA
Level Contributor
184 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

20 items that needed fixing ? I doubt it. Busiest time of the year ? Yes it was . Pool bad? MNR called the pool service and they came out 2x. Terrible service you received ? Maybe you got what you gave . Will you be missed? No .

Boston...
Level Contributor
4,665 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Mike Norman Realty- Bayview Home- Bad Rental

It does sound like a nightmare rental, but if you like AMI, couldn't you find another place to rent? I doubt that realty place is the only game in town. Or you could look on your own. Don't base your opinion of the whole island on one bad property (or on nasty attitudes like the SumoatAMI post). I am sure there are many hospitable people and nice rentals there, or it wouldn't be such a popular destination.

Get answers to your questions about Holmes Beach