We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos and flies!

Colorado Springs...
Level Contributor
1 post
5 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos and flies!

We will be on Okaloosa Island the first week of October. Does anyone know what the biting, stinging insect situation is at that time of year? Should we bring repellent? We are very allergic! Thank you.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,429 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos and flies!

I've read something about biting black flies on the Destin forum.... But it is NOT a common occurrence or anything that is for sure. We've gone down in the fall, MANY times & have never encountered such things... Only beautiful emerald waters, sugar white sand, warm temps, and NO CROWDS :-)

Destin, FL
Destination Expert
for Destin
Level Contributor
2,968 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos and flies!

Dog flies are an issue in the fall.... Usually only lasts about a week and they are worse on the beach... Sept or October, but not usually both!

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
376 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos and flies!

"NoSeeUms' are common, but usually not at the beach, usually around the bay/sound. We do have mosquitos except for jan/feb. There are sometimes dog flies, but I've never had them swarm (like more than one). If you are allergic, I would bring repellent, then you would have it if you needed it.

The most common places I've had issues, though, is usually in the woods, like Turkey Creek, Blackwater River, or on the reservation. I've never had to bother with repellent on the beach. Now, there are things called sand fleas, but if you stay out of the dunes, you should be fine.

Tennessee
Level Contributor
942 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos and flies!

When we had beach pics made at Beasley Park on July 12 at 7AM, the flies nearly ate me up. I should have used my OFF. I will know in the future. We never got bit on the beach behind our rental but at Beasley they were brutal and wielded a very painful bite, for sure.

Baton Rouge...
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos and flies!

yes the flies are bad they bite if you use Skin So Soft they will stay off of you

6. Re: Mosquitos and flies!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, July 30, 2014