We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip review 1st week of July

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Moses Lake...
Level Contributor
19 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Trip review 1st week of July

The RAIN. Wow. It never stopped for almost 5 days. I grew up in Seattle and am pretty adapt and finding things to do in the rain, but not for 5 days with two young kids . . . so to be honest, that was a negative. My 8 year-old will also remember spending 30 minutes in our condo bathroom with pillows all around waiting out a tornado warning (I called the police, that's what they said to do - however, there were people hanging out in a tent on the beach the whole time?) Kids loved the Gulfarium, we did the Pirate Cruise in PCB (before the rains came fortunately) and that was good. Drove to Pensacola for Naval Aviation Museum and Fort Barrancas - it wasn't raining there . . . oh yes, it did stop for the fireworks near the Destin Boardwalk, so that was good! One thing . . . I'm a pretty avid reader of TA prior to any of our excursions and I sure misunderstood Okaloosa. I envisioned it being much more low key, more small condos and houses, and a little further removed from things . . . it was fine, the beach was amazing on the couple sunny days we had. There just wasn't much atmosphere - places we've been like Folly Beach S.C., Tybee Island, even Cocoa Beach, all seem to have a little flavor of their own . . . admittedly there is that 5 mile stretch driving into Destin that is more remote, but it seems odd to leave your beach-front condo to go to a beach 5 minutes away. Anyway, loved Hogs Breath and Sonny's BBQ - Lamberts too in Foley! - may have to come during hurricane season for sun, last time we came in July as well and it rained 3 out of 5 days!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
438 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip review 1st week of July

You might like Navarre Beach if you like remote. It's between Okaloosa Island and Pensacola. I usually visit Okaloosa in September....knock on wood....haven't had rain like that yet.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,428 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip review 1st week of July

Sounds like you were able to do some of things between the raindrops.

3. Re: Trip review 1st week of July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, July 15, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach