We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Searcy, Arkansas
9 posts
Save Topic
Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Waters Edge & The Islander look like they have decent sized pools but also noticed they have 90-106 units each. Would the pool & beach area at those be too crowded late July? If so, what's a good smaller complex that has a Good sized pool? Thank you!

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
925 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Summer Place is a smaller complex that has a nice size pool area. It is a newer building between Waterscape & the Hampton Inn. It has 2 pools & hot tub with a big deck area around the pools. I have stayed there in June 2 times and the pool area was never crowded.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

The beach area down by Summer Place, is one of the most crowded due to Waterscape and Azure. July is busy on the Island. Could you come in Mid august begins to quiet down a bit then. Also smaller condo buildings will have smaller pools, so I am not sure if they will be any less crowded. We have found that the pools tend to be less busy then the beach during the morning and early afternoon. People start to come up from the beach to the pool later in the day.

Searcy, Arkansas
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Thanks for your replies. Is the beach area not split into sections like it is in Destin?.....meaning, is a section of the beach in front of Summer Place (& any other smaller complexes) not reserved for Summer Place renters? Or do the waterscape & Azure renters get on it?

Searcy, Arkansas
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Guess I should also ask, because I am still considering them....can Waters Edge or The Islander's pool adequately handle the amount of people in their complex?

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

You are right, the condos do have beach for them. But in July you can end with 4 rows of umbrellas and chairs, and it feels like one condo blends into another. Like I said it is most congested around Waterscape, Summer Place and Azure. Look at Turtle Walk or Blue Dolphin (can't remember if that is the right name). They are smaller buildings, about 1/2 way down the island. Not sure about Waters Edge or Islander - with congestion. It is just a busy time of the year.

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

We have never been down in July, we own a condo, and leave the summer to rentals. But we came down at the end of May one year, and we were shocked at how busy it was around the Waterscape area.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
925 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Yes the area in front of the condo you choose is where the chairs are set up for that building. When we were at Summer Place there were 1 row of chairs. At Waterscape there were 3 rows. Azure is several buildings on past Summer Place. I have been to the pool at the Islander & remember it being crowded. We use to stay next to the Islander. I am not sure about Water's Edge. If you can google map the area you can see the size of the pools to the building. We stayed at Emerald Towers West for years & it had a smaller pool but was usually not crowded.

Searcy, Arkansas
9 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

Thank you both for your help, we normally stay in Destin at pelican beach but thought we'd try fort walton beach this year because that's where our friends stay (they like el matador) & we were told Okaloosa is less congested. But it almost sounds like its going to be just as bad since we're going in July. Oh we'll, it is what it is I guess. :)

texas
Level Contributor
511 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

We stayed at waters edge last year first week of aug and are returning that same week pool was never very crowed. It was perfect.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Smaller size Okaloosa complex with Large uncrowded pool?

From El Matador to the west is undeveloped island....& with the road ending at El Matador, the west end is known to be less crowded.

Islander does a good business, but there is vacant land for sale between Islander & Island Sands or Pelican Isle, which would provide more beach space.

For the most part, the beach in front of the resorts is public & not owned by the resorts.