We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
153 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

ok, tripadvisor community...looking to you for help. i'm a contributor myself and i need some trusted advice. i've looked until i'm tired of looking, read and researched and stayed up late looking some more. we've been to destin but wanting to get better deals and smaller crowds but stay close to destin. considered navarre but don't want the 30 minute or more drive. east of destin toward miramar and beyond seem to be too expensive gulf front. so i'm reading okaloosa is the way to go. i think i've about got it narrowed down to:

island sands or veranda

here's what i'm wanting:

2 or 3 adults/1 teenager so it can be either 1 or 2 bedroom as long as its clean, comfortable and well accommodating for 3-4 people.

gulf front-if we're coming to the beach we want the view and access/10 min drive or so to Destin/pool/beach service included would be great

the price is what's getting me. looks like for first wk of June it ranges from 1050 to 1800 and more. i was hoping for 1000/wk but i know thats not looking typical.

if i could get a list of condos that are the first ones to line up the farther east end of okaloosa closest to destin that are gulf front, that would help. if it would meet my requirements.

anyways, thanks if anybody can help!!

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

When we were looking to buy our condo this map came in handy.

floridacondorentals.net/ft_walton_beach_loca…

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,433 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

I'm thinking 'Island Sands' units are all 1 bdrm, but I may be wrong.

I'm sure you'll find the above map link helpful.

I do not think you are going to find Gulf Front in your price range, in June.

Some of the older resorts might be less $. 'Sea Oats' is on the east end, but not all units are Gulf front (some side view). Not to be confused with 'Sea Oats' in Destin... You might also look at some 'Breakers' units...or 'Nautilus' (some are side view).

If you are looking at the east end to be closer to Destin, going to the west end is only going to put you in the car for less than 5 more min.

Check www.vrbo.com, or www.homeaway.com, or www.fwbvr.com.

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

thanks everybody so far. that map was a nice touch! does anybody know where i can get a list of ONLY the small condos, the low-rises, or the units with say 24 or less units for instance on fort walton? are there only condos and no beach houses gulf front in fw that are affordable too?

Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,162 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

Near our condo are three smaller buildings. Turtle Walk, Blue Dolphin and Verenda - all very nice. Just a note, there are no high rises - there is a limit of 7 stories high on the island.

HSV, AL
Level Contributor
184 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

ok everyone. stayed at pelican isle 203 beach lovers retreat. very pretty and clean condo. king bed was plenty room for me and mom and bunk beds for daughter's overstuffed bags in hallway. she chose to sleep on couch anyway. loved having view of ocean and down a few steps right by boardwalk out onto the beach. we were about 6 condos down from the last one of the island-el matador. less crowded than destin? maybe going out to eat but there were plenty of people on beach when we went this 1st week of June and they put the umbrellas so close together! thankfully they had a second row going spaced out more and I liked that better. sitting under the umbrella catching a breeze and reading a book. nice. go try stewby's seafood in fort Walton few miles from beach. in phonebook. good seafood sandwiches. quaint little place. rated #1. by the way, we were just 6 mi from Destin afterall and it was closer than if we had stayed further down Old Hwy 98 down in Destin to go to eat at Donut Hole and Backporch. like the Alvins in Destin better though. if we went again we might try Navarre?

6. Re: Advice on Condos and Location...1st of June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 10, 2014