We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
63 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

We are so looking forward to coming down to the Island with our college student daughter for some much-needed family time and relaxation. Daughter has requested Thanksgiving Dinner at Harbor Docks - she likes the idea of sharing a meal with the entire community and making our donation to Habitat for Humanity.

Looking forward to being back on the beach, doing some shopping and enjoying lots of Gulf seafood. We will definitely be at Marina Cafe, Harbor Docks (Thanksgiving), Stewbys and maybe a couple of new places this trip.

Can't wait!

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

I'm jealous..... I don't think we will make it down for Thansgiving :-(.

Hope you have nice weather & enjoy your family time!

Lynn, Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

Sounds like you have visited the Island previously. We will be staying at Summer Place this year during week of Thanksgiving with married children, grandchildren and college age son. This will be our first visit to Fort Walton beach. Any "must see/do" ideas would be greatly appreciated... Counting the days until we can leave chilly Indiana!!!!!!

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

HD, I think you'll find the best suggestions/ideas by reading previous posts on this & the Destin forum.

Dewey Destins is very popular with tourists.

Harborwalk will probably have evening entertainment.

Gulfarium is nearby.

If weather is warm, rent a pontoon!

( what part of IN? I am in Warsaw. )

Hattiesburg...
Level Contributor
7 posts
359 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

HD: Do Okaloosa Pier for a nice walk and you can watch the fishermen.

McGuires Irish Pub is a bit down the road in Destin and makes for a super lunch spot. Old Bay Steamer or perhaps Pandora for a nice dinner stop.

I'm going next week-end and may very well do all of the above.

Happy Travels...............................JB

Edited: 1:01 pm, November 04, 2012
Lynn, Indiana
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

Thinkin' Vaca.... We live in the small town of Lynn, north of Richmond close to Ohio line. Really appreciate all of your suggestions. When we travel we always look for the (off the beaten path) "mom-n-pop" kind of places, to eat and sometimes have a cold adult beverage. I have to wonder if these kind of places ever get reviews here on TA.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

You might want to check the Destin forum. In FWB, do some research on HighTide, Scully's, Brooks Bridge BBQ, HelenBack, Folkers, Stewby's.

There was a local on this forum awhile back.

Sorry, I'm not.... So just taking stabs.

Midwest
Level Contributor
2,415 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

You might want to check the Destin forum. In FWB, do some research on HighTide, Scully's, Brooks Bridge BBQ, HelenBack, Folkers, Stewby's.

There was a local on this forum awhile back.

Sorry, I'm not.... So just taking stabs.

Marigold Grill is good "old south" restaurant.

8. Re: Spending Thanksgiving on Okaloosa Island this year!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, November 11, 2013