We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

Durant, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

We want to go to a nice beach somewhere with our two-year-old. We will be driving from Oklahoma so the Florida panhandle is as far east as we want to drive. We would love to stay at a resort that has a large pool or pools, lazy river, and kid pool. The only places I can find are Waterscape and Destin West. Out of those two, which one would you recommend? Or should we stay somewhere else? Are there any other resorts in the Florida panhandle that have the lazy river and kid pool? Also, is Fort Walton Beach just as nice as Destin? Any other info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cookeville...
Level Contributor
160 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

We are here right now on Okaloosa Island. We are staying at the El Matador. We have driven past Waterscape and Destin West. They both look really big. We have driven over to Destin to eat...it's about 6 miles. Personally I would rather stay here than Destin. It seems a lot less crowded and very family oriented. I hope this helps some!

Durant, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

Thank you for your help! I appreciate it! I have one question....is there anything to do with a two-year-old? The reviews say that the closest zoo is horrible. Any suggestions on placing to go?

Little Rock...
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

I have been taking my kids to Ft Walton Beach since they were little and now I’m taking a 2yo grandson so you ask a good question.

As far as I have found there is not a lot for a 2yo to do other than play in the sand with mom and dad. There is a little amusement park in Destin and they have kiddy rides that would be ok for a toddler.

You could also take him over to Marler park and let him play on the playground equipment. It’s a city park and fixed up nice. Its located north of 98 a few blocks. I forget the name of the road but go through the intersection and keep Alvin Island on you left and go straight till you run into it or turn by the Tom Thumb and circle under the Brooks Bridge and then turn left.

There is also the fishing pier and the dolphin show .

Edited: 4:07 pm, June 09, 2011
Orange, Texas
Level Contributor
156 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

We're heading to Waterscape (our second time) next week. It is great for kids. This time all the grandsons are going.....ages 2, 4 and 8. There is water fun for everyone, plus, the beach is right there. The Gulfarium marine park is close by; also the Boardwalk with shops and restaurants. Okaloosa Island seems quieter and more family oriented than Destin. But there is a great waterpark in Destin called Big Kahuna, if you chose to stay in Destin.

I don't know about Destin West....

The beach is just as nice at Fort Walton than it is at Destin; we have stayed at both.

5. Re: Waterscape vs. Destin West - or stay in Destin??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:17 am, October 03, 2012