We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

Which Fort Walton Beach hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

We are planning on staying at Destin West April 24-29th. Are there dolphin cruises or other day excursions that are fun for kids? Are they worth it? We have a 11yo, 20yo and 5yo. Someone said there is a day trip to a Shell Island?

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

Yes, they are fun. There are several, of several lengths. There's a glass bottom boat and the Southern Star. There are two large sail vessels that go out also.

wisconsin
Level Contributor
36 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

We just got back and did the Southern Star Dolphin Cruise. The 5 days we were there the winds were kicking up the ocean and it was pretty rough outside the breakers. Also the dolphins go up the intercoastals when the seas are rough. The boat had to go way over to the Pier before we saw the 2 dolphins that tend to stay there. They were 30-50 yards off the boat and we only saw glimpses of them.

My recomendation would be to save the money and go out on the Pier if you want to see the dolphins. We also stayed at Waterscape and could see them from our balcony most mornings.

It was a nice boat cruise - they took you around the bay and the kids got to feed birds and drive the boat. Just not much "dolphin" for a dolphin cruise.

Louisville,Ky.
Level Contributor
285 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

We always enjoy going on the sunset cruise on the Sea Blaster.....we ride around the bay looking at the homes and stuff....ride out and look for dolphins then go on a speed run....great fun. When they open the boat up on the speed run they let the kids take turns driving.

Little Rock...
Level Contributor
903 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

The Seablaster is the only one we have been on (almost every year). It's always a great time. My oldest son who's 21 still loves it. Probably because he can enjoy the adult beverages?lol

We are boat people & it is more like a huge ski boat & goes fast. Last year we saw a lot of dolphins on it. Some trips are better than others for seeing dolphins.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
152 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

I think it's luck of the draw with the dolphin cruises. We have taken one each time we've been down, and sometimes we've seen lots of dolphins, sometimes just a few. We always enjoy the boat ride and the views, anyway. If it was windy and the waters were choppy, that probably didn't make for a very relaxing ride. I know we've been once when the seas were so rough that they wouldn't take the boat out of the harbor.

Louisville,Ky.
Level Contributor
285 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

Saw some this morning not 20 feet offshore from the condo, in fact I was worried they were gonna get beached!

Fort Walton Beach...
Destination Expert
for Fort Walton Beach
Level Contributor
371 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

I asked around, and the only guarantee to see dolphins is at the Gulfarium.

8. Re: Dolphin Cruises or other excursions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:19 am, October 30, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Fort Walton Beach