We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Charter Fishing in August

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Charter Fishing in August

I will be spending the week of Aug. 2-9 with other adult family members on Sanibel and would like to do a back bay fishing charter. Last year in mid July during the Lake O releases our experience at this in Estero Bay was not good at all. Considering that the water is very warm during this week would it be worth our time and money to schedule again? Are there any particular fish at this time that could be counted on for some action minus a release from Lake O? Has Estero Bay completely recovered yet from last year? Thanks for your input and advice.

Huntersville, North...
Level Contributor
258 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Charter Fishing in August

Estero Bay is in great shape right now. Although, I think they released O 2 weeks ago, but I don't see any impact yet. Fishing this time of the year is tough...there's a TON of baitfish in the water and the bite is very finicky. in the back bay there's always big snook, mangrove snapper and redfish. lots of sheepshead right now.

if you're going to charter in back bay I'd recommend Cpt Randy from Florida Native Fishing Charters. Went out with him recently and he knows the area exceptionally well. good dude too.

good luck!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Charter Fishing in August

That's great news about Estero Bay right now. Those releases remain a constant concern not only for our planned fishing charter but our vacation in general. We are from out of state and naively wasted money on an ill-timed vacation and charter last summer and don't want that to happen again. Unfortunately, local tourist business people are not forthcoming about these releases. Thanks for your update on the water conditions. Will check out Capt. Randy, too.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Charter Fishing in August

You can google the water release and review of water quality. It sneaks right up on us!

Ft Myers Beach, FL
Level Contributor
129 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Charter Fishing in August

If you are concerned, come to Naples/Marco area....40 minute drive from Ft Myers. 10000 Islands has great back bay fishing. Contact Captn Magic Marc 239 777-4279, Captain Mike Bailey 239 825-4292 (like texting due to fishing), Captn Les Lezak 239 272-1303, Everglades Back Water (captn Mark Ward) Everglades Angler 239 450-9230. Enjoy!

Venice, Florida
Level Contributor
29 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Charter Fishing in August

A great option. Thanks. This is info that I'll file away for future trips as well.

6. Re: Charter Fishing in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:16 am, July 15, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach