We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Topic
Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

Hello,

My wife and I would like to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary somewhere on Florida's Gulf side in July 2006 for seven or eight days. We cannot decide on where to stay. I hope it's not too late to book something with only about a month left! Any comments or suggestions from anyone out there would be greatly appreciated. We are a 40 something, non-smoking couple looking for some R & R, some swimming/snorkeling and dining. We would prefer to be away from the noisey kids and any construction going on because of renovation or hurricane damage.

Thanks again!!

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

There is an adults-only hotel in Madeira Beach called Shoreline Island Resort. TI is south of Clearwater. All the reviews mention how quiet and relaxing it is. The area is good for swimming and dining. Snorkeling can be found if you take a snorkel cruise out in the Gulf.

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

Thanks for the tip. My wife wasn't crazy about it, but I thought the place looked ok. A map shows Madeira north of Treasure Island. Is there anything in TI? We're going to research Sanibel and the Keys for the snorkeling. She liked the Pink Shell in FM, but a lot of mixed reviews on noise and construction next door. The Sheraton Sand Keys looked promising on the Clearwater side. It is located away from the their main beach area too. Any more comments from the locals out there in Fort Myers?

Ft Myers Florida
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

I think you should consider Gullwing and Pointe Estero on Ft Myers Beach. Lovely properties.

mnr
Kansas City, MO.
Level Contributor
155 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

PE did look good.

I'm hearing that there's a bad case of Red Algae in the FMB area, and it's some nasty stuff. I may have to book up north at CWB or head to the Keys for the snorkeling.

Ft Myers Florida
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

There is a bit of a seaweed problem that I saw on Sunday. No dead fish so it can`t be red tide. I thought the seaweed was less that last weekend though. the water is a gorgeous blue and seems clean. I would wait a week or so as these things don`t last long.

6. Re: Fort Myers Beach vs Clearwater Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:16 pm, August 14, 2009