We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

We stayed for a week Sun-Sun during July 4th week. This was the first time traveling with our 2 Rottweiler-mutt puppies - 6 months old. I never knew how difficult it is to travel with dogs larger than 25 lbs. and seen as an "aggressive breed" by some places - they won't rent to you because of insurance policies.

Initially I looked for accomodations on Sanibel but couldn't find any last minute because of our dogs. We stayed in a 2 bedroom house that was pet friendly that I found through VRBO. It was about 0.5 mile from the fishing pier / times's square where all the shops/restaurants are located. This worked for us. The walk was not bad at all to times square. Public access to the beach was directly across the street.

Fort Myers Beach - nice. Enjoyed our time there especially walking along it during low tide. Found many cool shells. Wished the water was a little clearer and more blue but the water temp was refreshing. Enjoyed the 4th July fireworks. We set up away from the Pier. Others were blowing off their own fireworks before the official show which was a little scary since they were really kind of close to us. It was cool to see some of the big groups of people that set up canopies - looked like family reunions or a large group of friends.

We went shelling one time at the Light house beach on Sanibel during low tide and found many shells. Toll is $6.00 for the bridge - wished they had a day pass! Hourly parking not bad $2/hr if you can find a spot which is not too hard early or later in the day.

Took one day trip to Naples and Naples zoo on a separate day. Naples is not our cup of tea. Shopping was too upscale and didn't have time to check out the beach with the afternoon rain that caught us. Naples zoo is ok. It's a little small and can be done in a couple hours. We had our kids and they wanted to do something different than the beach one day. Get the internet rate for admission if you can. I asked at the ticket counter and she gave it to me. I told her I was on vacation and I didn't have a printer to print out the tickets. The parking for the Zoo is free - a bonus.

Afternoon rain was crazy. Sometimes it was only for 20 mins and other times it rained for 1-1.5 hrs. But, it was usually clear by late afternoon.

Anyway, that's about it. We were either on the beach or in the house or walking our dogs. Didn't eat too much "downtown". Had most of our meals at home. Publix is a little bit of a drive but there is a closer local, supermarket as well. Your traffic there is just CRAZY (around the pier/5th ave) - especially during the weekend and evenings. We saw it backed up over the bridge and down the street on San Carlos - bumper to bumper when we were heading out one day. We decided to enter the island at Bonita Springs when we came back which was nice to see what was ovethere.

Decatur, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,820 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

Sounds like you enjoyed your vacation. www.vrbo.com

I also rent thru VRBO when bringing my dog/s along. We just went to Panama City Beach (15 days ago) and all "pet" beach home rentals were booked. So they went to a kennel instead. :(

Next time will book very early to get a pet friendly home.

Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers Beach
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

Nice report, sounds like a good time was had by all, Come on back:)

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,595 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

Enjoyed reading your trip report, glad you enjoy your trip. Did you go to the dog beach near Lover's Key?

Chicago
Level Contributor
2,004 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

We drove by there a couple times during the day when the water was high. Wanted to go during low tide which was in the early evening while we were down there. No, we never made it out there, but saw several cars and dogs in the the area when we drove by.

One thing that kind of made me hesistant was that we had our dogs on the beach and water for about an hour one day. They kept biting and drinking the saltwater - this was on Sanibel. Well, on the ride back to Fort Meyers they both VOMITED in our car which I assumed was due to the saltwater in their stomachs and kind of turned me off a little. I can laugh about it now.

5. Re: Trip report July 4th, 2012 week with 2 big puppies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 19, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach