We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

Boston...
Level Contributor
110 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

Hi! I have yet another question. You've all been extremely helpful so far, I thank you!

My daughters and I will be down June 15-23. Never been to FL before other than Disney so this is a much anticipated trip. I've already received GREAT traveling tips so far. I think this is my last question...whew!

We REALLY want to see Key West. I've looked at taking the Key West Express but that only allows approx 4 hours on the Island and is VERY pricey for a day trip.

How would it be to drive? I know it takes approx 5+ hrs but I'm a road trip kinda girl anyway so wouldn't mind. I have a rental that I'm already paying for anyway. Is there a lot of traffic? I figure leave at 5AM, to get there by 10:30AM and stay until whenever.

What do you all think about that????

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key West Express
Key West Express
1,843 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Always looking south
Level Contributor
68 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

I also think the Keys is a separate and very full vacation on its own, and have been there many times, usually staying in Marathon as a good mid point, and driving to Islamorada, Key West etc. etc.

As you are only in FLA for 7-8 days and have never been to Ft. Myers, you will have lots to do without venturing to the Keys at all. In other words, it sounds like your plans are exploding into too much for a 'vacation', unless the prime idea is "whoever does the most things, wins" :-D

Edited: 6:46 pm, May 23, 2012
Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Chicago. Illinois
Level Contributor
133 posts
1 review
Save Reply
12. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

I like AhHAh's Idea ..with a twist .If you fly SWA you can fly home out of Ft Lauderdale,no cancel fees .That would let you explore the area around Miami as well,depending on your flight time . Careful driving esp leaving keys some police traps ,speed and improper lane passing

miami
Level Contributor
50 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

I live in miami and I can tell you its a LONG drive to Key West. Speed limit in the keys is between 30 and 45, LOTS of traffic on weekends, the road between Miami and Key Largo ( the first key you will get to) is frequently backed up for miles. Key West could be considered quaint and Historic, but IMO, other than the Mallory Square theres not much to do but hit the bars. There is a small museum and a tram through the town, but I would never try to drive both ways and sightsee in that short of a time, and personally I don't feel its worth the drive. I wouldn't try to do it in one day from Miami, and you are adding probably 7 more hours from Fort Meyers to Miami and back. If you were to stay in the Keys thats another story, it's a very nice atmosphere to relax in, but not for a hurried day trip. Just my opinion.... If you were to visit and spend a night, I would suggest looking for a room somewhere north of Key West about 30 miles or so.

Dave

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Ft.Myers Beach,FL
Level Contributor
3,333 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

But Dave, She is a driving machine.

texas
Level Contributor
433 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

Why don't you try going just to Key Largo at first? John Pennekamp State Park is nice. Just do a little keys? It is beautiful from Key Largo to Key West!!!

Enjoy!

Do watch the speed traps!!!

Mentioned in this post
Key Largo
Key Largo
Florida Keys, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

key largo would be a good day trip to expereince the keys. Snorkel trip or glass bottom boat from there to the reef if the weather is nice (not windy) continue to Islamarado for lunch and scenery if too windy to go snorkeling. That will make for a good 12 - 14 hour day.

if you want to do Key West , you need to spend the coin for an extra night out but it would be worth it. If you drive you save enough to pay for the night. Allow yourself 9 hours to get there if you want to stop and enjoy some spots along the way. try priceline on a weeknight. you might be surprised at what you can get during the summer. it would add a whole different chapter to your Florida experience. A boat ride out to Dry Tortuga's is a great addition.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Florida
Florida
United States
Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,254 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

other oprion is to fly. around $200 each roundtrip, check cape air

https://www.capeair.com/#

bars, shops, museums, small aquarium, etc. try and go on a day that cruise ships will not be in port google key west cruise ship schedule to check

best time is the nightime in key west though

18. Re: Day trip: Ft. Myers Beach to Key West...worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:42 am, June 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach