We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Hi everyone

2 adults + 1 young teenage son coming early April. Narrowed hotels down to Beach Shell/Outrigger/Manatee Bay/Sandpiper. Manatee looks nice but only 1 review - located Third Street nr Times Square. Is this a good location? Not too noisy?

Outrigger too seems ok - would it be better suited for son - stuff going on and likely to be other kids his age?

Must decide soon so any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
264 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Pink Shell, or Best Western. Close to fun for kid and far enough for relaxation and entertainment for you. Outrigger too far down for a teenager

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

It might be difficult to get a room at those hotels at this point. We stayed at a house in the 2000 block of estero blvd thru Tropical hut realty. It was very nice, quiet and conveniently located to everything including the supermarket (1 block). There's a recreation center real close by with a gym, nature walk, tennis, a pool, basketball courts etc. all open to the general public. The beach was a short walk (also 1 block). You might want to check out availability for something like that.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Pink Shell and BW way above budget unfortunately.

Sorry, what do you mean by Outrigger "too far down for teenager"?

Don't know area at all as we are Brits.

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Regarding the Pink Shell, did you look at the Sanibel View rooms or just the White Sand Villas? The Sanibel View building is much cheaper than the villas.

Have you looked at Palm Terrace? They get great reviews and are just across the street from the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Hi LoveFlorida

Have checked those rooms at Pink Shell but $282 per night which is too high. Tried Palm Terrace but full.

This is our predicament.

Still hoping someone will provide info on Times Square and the comment on Outrigger too.

Thanks all

Ft Myers Florida
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Ft Myers Beach is about 7 miles long. Times Square is the area at the pier where all the stores and lots of restaurants are. The Outrigger is about 4 miles south of there. It is a very popular motel and is always full. We oun a condo a bit south of there and it is our favorite place to walk to for the buffet breakfast and the bar often has live entertainment. I believe most rooms have a small kitchen area. There is a theatre accros the street and Santini Plaza is not far south of Outrigger. It has some stores and restaurants and a marina behind. Lovers Key State Park is about 1 and a half miles south of the motel and there are kyak and bike rentals there. There are always lots of teens staying at the Outrigger and the trolley runs buy to take you to Times Square. Have you considered renting a condo? They are usually cheaper than motels and give you more space and comfort.

Connecticut
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

The house we stayed in was only $150 per night during peak season and was located on a quiet dead end street just a short walk or even shorter trolley ride (.50 per passenger) to Times square.

UK
Level Contributor
20 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Thanks Canuc - great to have input from a local. The outrigger does have some good reviews but also some neg ones which do worry me. Do you know the Manatee Bay Inn at all?

Can you tell me what the beach is like near Times Square? You say there is a trolley - that could be useful for finding the best stretch of beach, couldnt it?

In reply to ctsun, renting a condo would be great and cheaper but we only want 3 nights and it's a 7 night min especially at high season surely?

Ft Myers Florida
Level Contributor
273 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

Condo`s all have at least a week minimum stay. I don`t know anything about the other motel you mentioned. It is on a street back of the beach. No idea what it is like inside. The beach at Times Square is public. Busy, fun, lots of bars and stores and restaurants. The Outrigger has a huge wide beach. You might like the Holiday Inn at that end. What about the Neptune Inn? It looks good from the road. Owning on the beach as I do, I have had no occasion to stay in any of the motels myself and would hesitate to recommend them without personal experience.

Michigan
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Fort Myers Beach - Most Suitable Hotel?

My husband and I stayed at Neptune Inn for 5 days in April of 2004. We thought it was a very pleasant place. It's not a big flashy hotel complex, but I always say "I don't need fancy, I just need clean." We don't tend to spend a lot of time in our room when we're on vaction. We stayed in the south wing which is older than the north wing. The grounds were very attractive and very well kept up. It had 2 nice pools and a wide expanse of beach. I think it's comparable to the Outrigger because I had checked that place out too. Neptune Inn is approx. 1/2 mile south of Time Square where there are a lot of sidewalk restaurants, street entertainers at night and the pier where people are fishing. The trolley, which goes up and down the main street (Estero Blvd) all day and is 50 cents each time you board, has a trolley stop directly in front of Neptune Inn. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance. Check out their website at www.neptuneinn.com and see the photos of the rooms and their beautiful grounds. I plugged in dates in early April and they say no internet reservations are available, but suggest that you call their toll free number which is listed there. That's what I did when I made our reservations and I had much better luck doing it that way. We will be there for a week in March in a condo north of Time Square. Have fun!