We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

I had a terrible lapse in judgment the other day while on Ft. Myers Beach when, once again(and for the LAST time) I plunked money down to the extremely rude people at Cabana Rentals. You know who I mean...the snotty tongued, Euro-speak female in the hat and beach pants along with the John Kerry-esque looking A-H who is in charge of distributing their chairs and cabanas. Their stand is set up on the wide beach somewhere near Point Estero. I had considered never using their "service" again after a previous bad experience we had with them, and I guarantee you it will never happen again. They have this prevailing attitude that they are doing us this great favor by accepting our money and pawning off their less than adequate equipment. I would rather lay face down in stinging jellfish, sharp shells, and broken beer bottles than ever give them a dime again. Oh, there will be plenty who will rush to their defense stating what a wonderful job they do "setting up their chairs and umbrellas." Give me a break. There are other businesses down there that treat their tourist/ customers with the respect they deserve and they deserve to be rewarded with our business. These people fold without all of us, so make them earn it.. and not treat us like scum who are merely bothering them from getting their golden tans honed.

Kansas City, MO
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
Level Contributor
1,026 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

We will be there June 26th through July 6th. I just assumed all the resorts would have their own cabana rentals for the beach.

We are staying at Diamondhead. Is this close to

Cabana Rentals? Or will Diamondhead have their own rentals available?

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

Memphisbelle...They may be up there too, I don't know. Diamond Head is about 4 miles from where I mentioned. But, if they are, buy chairs instead on your own....there are several shops nearby where you can buy a couple of beach chairs,and an umbrella for a lot less. Figure the $20 a day they charge for one cabana(and no chairs) times 7=$140. You could get all of that for a little over half of that. Then upon leaving, if you are flying home, turn around and sell it to another couple..then they could pass it on..and so on.

Seriously, Diamond Head should have their own setups for you I am guessing; it is a very nice beachside hotel..you'll have fun.

indyfish2@aol.com
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

snookowl had same experience last year.Not all of FM has the attitude but I think Fl is getting desperate for service people. they are hireing or contracting out of country labor force to work area during tourist season.we are seeing alot more of this in fmb area lately.These rude non citizens should be thankful we have a place for them to come work.I refuse to do business with any forigner with the attitude and I write a complaint to who ever owns the establishment.Unfortunately the owners are more forigners.Only message they understand is don t patronize them.The cabana rental is a rip off .For what these condos get in weekly rental fees the cabana should be incluesive.Go to walmart or the local fmb drug store and buy cheap chairs.Or ship by ups or mail back home before you leave.Post office at santini will ship anything and very cheap.We have mailed our chairs to post office address general delivery.Pick up when we arrive or send to condo office where staying.make araingements with the Condo office to hold till you arrive.We tourist spend too much money in Florida to get bad treatment.recently went to Destin.Will never go back.From Gulf Shores ALa along panhandle east is ruined with the out of country over building of condos and developement.It was sad.

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

Indyfish..amen brother. I like the idea of buying the beach seating and shipping to your place down there.... AND, saw your post about the fish place south of Bonita....Don't know how we've missed that all these years.

And oh yeah, love the Fish House behind Santini. The traffic has kept us close mostly for dinner, thus there, Frankies..the Loggerhead mainly to watch the karaoke singers(ha)..the Outrigger Beach Bar(great beach bar along with Hurricane Charlies at the Holiday Inn)..and Docs down on Bonita Beach.

Trying to understand why someone doesn't start a WATER TAXI business along that whole stretch from the Fish Tale Marina up to Salty Sam's at least. I'd pay a good amount not to sit in traffic going north from the south.

The trolley system..I like it, but wish they'd put about 10 more on Estero all day long. Hell, charge for the ride, if that's what it will take.

indyfish2@aol.com
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

What a awesome idea.Someone with a little capital could make a fortune.I love Ft Myers Beach but my one gripe is the don t change it attitude.this was a great concept years ago when few came to island.I don t want to see the island go commercial like other parts of Fl.BUT! there are so many people coming there now that it is making it unpleasent for everyone.

I love everything about Santini.We have never gone up the beach other then The tiki bar or Montazmas at bridge.Will try those spots next time.

The delima we are having now is we have gone to an RV.Lots of luck finding a good park close to FMB.I love staying in the condos but the rates and service were becoming silly.Our kids come on spring break which forces us to pay premo fees.I am afraid we are going to be forced to find another part of Fl to stay and drive over to FMB to meet kids for week they are there.

Do you have any information on other parts of Fl more dedicated to RVs?? or nice State parks?We are open.

Indy

Ps loved your ref.thererence to Kerry...lol..there are alot of ketsup people down there.lol

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
for Sarasota, Longboat Key
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

Whoa, you folks are putting up with a lot of stuff after paying big bucks to hang out on the beach in the sun. Do you really need a cabana? Next time c'mon up to Sarasota and try Siesta Key or Lido or Longboat or Anna Maria, stop by WalMart on the way and grab a couple of cheap beach towels and beach chairs, find a quiet spot on the beach and forget the hassle.

indyfish2@aol.com
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

Hey CBCHRC I could not agree more about the Sarasota area along with Siesta Key.Been there and love it.The shelling is the best at Siesta.I still favor Ft Myers beach for the reason that the locals ( residence to area) in general are the best with thier hospitality to us Birders.I am not saying Sarasota folk are not friendly. I have no complaints.The other attraction of Ft Myers is the weather.Just the short distance south can be as much as 10 degrees warmer at times.We have started out in early spring at Sarasota and moved to FMB to get warm.Still Sarasota and Siesta is right there with Ft Myers Beach,Bonita and Naples as a

wonderful place to visit.Armand Square outside Sarasota is the best shopping along with a great Cuban resturant.Only thing lacking, Naples has the best Tommy Bahamas resturant and Boutique.This is only my opinion of course.

Do you have any suggestions on a good parking area for a motor home in your area? We now have to change the way we travel but want to keep coming to Sarasota and Ft myers area.Like I said in past post we tried recently the Panhandle of FL around Gulf Shores and Destin,was very disapointed.So next month we are headed back down south West.

Thanks Indy2

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

There are a couple of options for you Indy. Sarasota County runs a small campground on the beach on Siesta Key: Turtle Beach Campground. They take reservations, limit you to 30 days, I think. Another choice would be Myakka River State Park, though that's not near a beach (as you probably know); beautiful area for camping however. Myakka also takes reservations.

For private campgrounds, Sun 'n Fun RV Resort is attractive. That is on Fruitville Road, just east of I-75 (thus about 10 miles from the beaches).

Sarasota, Florida
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,186 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

Indy, I forgot to mention: there is a Tommy Bahamas on St. Armands, though the one in Naples might be better.

Also you mentioned "Birders". Not sure if you were referring to yourselves as "snowbirds" or if indeed you enjoy looking for the feathered kind. If it's the latter, there is a great birding website in Sarasota that lists unusual sightings and also tells when various Audubon trips are going locally. You can sign up to get their EMail notices by sending an EMail to

SRQbirdalerts-subscribe@yahoogroups.com.

USA
Level Contributor
173 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cabana Rentals on Ft Myers Beach-rude beyond rude

Hey Indy..been going to FMB since for over 20 years for the very reason you mention..warm weather almost guaranteed. I can think of maybe twice that we've had what I call unacceptable weather for spring break..meaning, temps in the mid to high 79s minimum and I do mean minimum. And that's usually only been for maybe a couple of days in a row. We had to go to Destin once and it was low 60s and I said never again. The panhandle area is for the summer.

Look at their weather today for example..yikes. Cold cold. And even today, FMB was 70 and that is very unusual for this time of year..BUT, look at tomorrow and the rest of next week; mid 80s all the way.

And, yes..Siesta Key, Sarasota all good places, wonderful places in fact..and amen to Armand Circle..Square whatever it is. Great place.