We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible December Trip Advice?

Tiffin, Ohio...
Level Contributor
542 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Possible December Trip Advice?

My boyfriend and I are considering a weekend trip to FMB one of the first two weekends of December. This would be my first trip to the area, is the beginning of December still relatively slow? Also not sure what area to look in. We are in our 40s, no kids, we like to day drink and do happy hours and live music but not night club stuff. We would not have a car either, so looking for a hotel on the beach with a bar and restaurant and pool that's walkable to other restaurants. Also doesn't need to be fancy, $100-150 per nite. I'm also hoping it's fairly easy to get a cab from the airport? And I'm reading some prefer north end and some prefer south end, what's best for us? We also like water activities like kayaking, not sure if that's doable in December though. Sorry I have a lot of questions:) Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

After Thanksgiving weekend is fairly slow until Christmas week. I think you will want to be in the Time Square area where there's restaurants and bars within walking distance. There is a trolley that runs up and down Estero Blvd. that you can get on and off every couple of blocks. Try the SOB, the Smoken Oyster Bar for some good seafood and try the Beached Whale for happy hour. For a nice dinner we like Flippers on the bay, really good food and a great atmosphere. The water is cold here in December but being from Ohio you may not think so.

Mentioned in this post
Estero
Estero
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
The Beached Whale
The Beached Whale
1,803 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Centerville, Ohio
Level Contributor
13,535 posts
3,232 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

As a Buckeye who has experience with a December visit, we liked FMB properties.

Do look at Sanibel as an option.

Do rent a car.

Mentioned in this post
Sanibel Island
Sanibel Island
Southwest Gulf Coast, FL
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
1,653 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

You will not have a problem to get transportation from RSW to FMB.

MBA is the only taxi company authorized to pick up at RSW. Fares are regulated flat rates, not metered. OW from RSW to FMB $ 50.

As of July 1 of this years Uber and Lyft are now authorized to pick up at the airport proper. You could save $$$ if you either pre-arrange your ride with them or call them upon arrival.

Public transportation provided by Lee Transit is also available. While it is cheap, it is also extremely inconvenient - at least IMO.

Bottomline's suggestion to stay in the Times Square area is excellent. You will be within easy walking distance to restaurants, pubs and bars and won't need a car.

If you will need to shop for groceries etc, there a few small markets around. A larger market is mid island on the trolley route (stops right in font of their parking lot)

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
1,759 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Tiffin, Ohio...
Level Contributor
542 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

Thanks for replying so quickly! What hotels would be suggested in the Times Square area for what we are looking for? I like the looks of Outrigger, Wyndham and Diamondhead. So we don't need a car if we stay in this area? We go to Key West every March and I think that water's too cold so being from Ohio doesn't necessarily matter with water temps. Hoping to get out on the water, not IN the water😃. Thanks for everyone's help so far!

Mentioned in this post
Times Square
Times Square
1,759 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
DiamondHead Beach Resort
DiamondHead Beach Resort
1,236 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Ohio
Ohio
United States
Fort Myers Beach...
Destination Expert
for Key West
Level Contributor
4,330 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

Diamond Head is the most convenient of the three, the others are not even close, they are at the south end of the island. If you are at the Diamond Head you will not need a car, the other two you will.

As for going out on the water you will be good to go. You will need to get on the trolley, ( 75 cents each ) get off at the Publix and walk through the parking lot to Snook Bight Marina. At the Marina you can rent kayaks, stand up and paddle boards, pontoon boats and speed boats. This will be a much more quiet vacation than Key West, there is lots to do but at that time of year a lot less people.

Mentioned in this post
Key West
Key West
Florida Keys, FL
Tiffin, Ohio...
Level Contributor
542 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

Awesome! Good to know thank you!

jamesville ny
Level Contributor
5,673 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

I have to agree with all posts,

Camp hill
Level Contributor
37 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

We have been going to FMB for years and had always stayed at the Edison Beach House prior to purchasing a timeshare at Diamondhead. I would recommend either for your stay. The Edison is a very small hotel with no restaurants or bar but you are in Easy walking distance to Times Square and all the bars and restaurants. In my opinion, you won't find a cleaner hotel on the island, although Diamondhead is also very clean. The Diamondhead does have restaurants and a bar on site which makes it a very good stay as well; however, it is about a mile walk to Times Square. We haven't rented a car the last few years and have used Comfort Transportation from RSW. Your can reach them at www.comfortontheweb.com or call 239-745-2845. Last time was $50 for pickup at the airport and delivery to FMB. Enjoy your stay, it is a wonderful place to be.

Mentioned in this post
Edison Beach House
Edison Beach House
665 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
DiamondHead Beach Resort
DiamondHead Beach Resort
1,236 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Times Square
Times Square
1,759 Reviews
Fort Myers Beach, FL
Tiffin, Ohio...
Level Contributor
542 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

Relax411, thanks for the advice! We are leaning towards Diamond Head at this point, I like the idea of all rooms having a balcony and the location seems pretty awesome. When you booked this company to pick you up at the airport how far in advance did you reserve? If our flight would come in at 2:30, should I reserve before we leave Ohio? Or do they just have cabs at the airport? We want to be able to get our bags and go to our hotel and not wait forever on transportation if possible! Thanks:)

Edited: 9:19 am, July 29, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Ohio
Ohio
United States
10. Re: Possible December Trip Advice?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, July 31, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach