We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

Boston MA
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

I have a reservation for the Pink Shell Beach Resort for the last weekend in March (Easter weekend)and am hoping to take my teenage boys to one or two Red Sox Spring Training games while there. I have heard that traffic on/off the island is horrific. Will I even be able to get to the stadium and how long will it take? Does time of day matter? Any tips would be most appreciated!

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

Hi Boardwalk, I've never been down there at the exact time of year that you're going, but from my experience, I would say that time of day does matter. Moving about after the morning rush and before the evening commute would help. Where your hotel is located will benefit you too because you are not far from the bridge and won't get stuck in the traffic traveling the length of Estero Island. I've often gone down in mid-April or in the summer, and not had to deal with much traffic at all. However, last winter I went down in mid February and could not believe the traffic! Everywhere. A few times, we ventured towards Sanibel in the middle of the day and the traffic off island wasn't too bad...lots of cars, but moving along.

I hope this helps.

ps. CAN YOU BELIEVE THOSE RED SOX?!! (i still can't believe it happened:-))

Boston MA
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

Thanks for the information - it DOES help! Yes, the Red Sox win is still surreal to me - but great!!

St. Croix
Level Contributor
57 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

Another Red Sox geek here looking for a hotel for 3/9 - 3/13. This is an "all girls" trip and the location of the hotel is important. I've heard not great things about hotels close to City of Palms Park, but I really don't want to drive back and forth from Ft. Myers Beach.Anyone got suggestions on hotels on the "mainland"?Thanks,Linda

boston, ma
8 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

I go to Fort Myers for spring training every year and stay at the beach. Traffic on/off is horrible during most of the time you'll be coming/going. Fortunately the Pink Shell is near the bridge on the island side (you go right at the end of the bridge rather than left, as most will go), so getting off island will be better. Getting back on island you'll sit in traffic before getting onto the bridge for an hour or so. I'd leave at least an hour and a half or more before the game in the morning--the parking lots around the park fill up. It will probably take you about an hour to get home afterwards. Let me know if you want tips on the best route.

boston, ma
8 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

To Tessie: If you're only going to be there a couple of days, it's okay to stay in town. There are lots of chain hotels there. Longer than that I'd definitely stay at the beach. You'll want to lounge by the pool before and after games. There are lots of hotels on Estero Blvd at Fort Myers Beach. The ones closest to Times Square (low numbered addressed) (other than the Pink Shell) are cheaper and busier, and then tend to be chains. They're also full of college kids. If you want to party, that's the place to be. If you want a more adult atmosphere, go further down the beach (not too far--see notes re traffic above).

Boston
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

I also heading to Fort Myers for Redsox spring training..I would like to find a nice hotel near the beach that is reasonably priced.. I contacted the Pink Shell Resort that was about 300 dollars a night.. Does anyone know of a nice place in Fort Myers near the beach and near the park (maybe in the middle.. ) Didn't realize that was easter week so it seems the prices are a little higher.. Any help would be great.. Thanks

Boston
10 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

I also heading to Fort Myers for Redsox spring training..I would like to find a nice hotel near the beach that is reasonably priced.. I contacted the Pink Shell Resort that was about 300 dollars a night.. Does anyone know of a nice place in Fort Myers near the beach or near the park (maybe in the middle.. ) Didn't realize that was easter week so it seems the prices are a little higher.. Any help would be great.. Thanks

Boston MA
Level Contributor
115 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

Thanks everyone for your input. Since I will be there for 4 nights, I decided to stay at Rock Lake Resort (right in Ft Myers)the first night since we arrive at night and have tickets to a 1pm game the next day. Then we will go down and stay at Pink Shell for 3 nights, possibly driving back once to take in a second game. Appreciate all the help!

Boston, Ma
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

Hello everyone, Happy New Year!! My boyfriend and I will be traveling to Red Sox spring training and have a hotel booked in Fort myers at the Best Western Coral Bridge Inn and Suites. they say it's about 15 mins from the park and 15 mins from fort myers beach. I dont know wheter to believe them or whether to stay there at all. I was pretty cheap but I would rahter pay more for better if I have too. If anyone knows anything about this hotel or the location I SHOULD stay let me know, thanks a bunch. GO RED SOX!!!!

New England, USA
Level Contributor
657 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ft Myers Beach and Red Sox Spring Training!

BellaRose, Hope this message is not too late, but one place you might check is Best Western Island Gateway. It's not on the beach, but on the main road headed towards Sanibel. I've stayed there many times over the years when it was called the Radisson Inn Sanibel Gateway. Sometimes there rates are quite good..depends on the vacation weeks. Staying there, you would avoid some of the traffic on Ft. Myers Beach.

For other options right on the beach, check online for some of the condo rentals. Some will rent by the night at very good rates because there is so much competition.

Get answers to your questions about Fort Myers Beach