We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dolphin Swim/Encounter

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Dolphin Swim/Encounter

I was wondering if anyone can tell me where the closest Dolphin swim would be from Mt. Myers. I know Discovery Cove is up in Orlando, but was hoping to find something closer. Thanks!

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

I hope not. Those swimming with dolphin programs are cruel. My suggestion would be to just go swimming in the gulf and enjoy nature as it is intended.

wspa-usa.org/wspaswork/oceans/wrongwithswimw…

North Fort Myers...
Level Contributor
1,096 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

Swimming in a pool with "pet" dolphins is an Orlando activity. If you really want to do it, that's the place. In the Fort Myers area, you can take a boat trip out into the gulf and see dolphins in the wild. They like to swim, jump, and play in the wake of boats. We took an overnight trip on our boat from Fort Myers to Captiva in July. On the way back we had 4 dolphins swimming right next to us. They travelled with us for about 10 minutes. They had a baby with them, and popped it up out of the water a number of times. They often turned on their sides and looked right up at us. We've seen that behavior quite a few times in our boat travels. It was definitely special without being in the water with them, and having them trapped in a small pool.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

I share the concerns for dolphins expressed by Sunny. My grandkids and I did the Dolphin Encounter Program at Discovery Cove in Orlando and, while educational and interesting, actual time with the animals was quite brief and there was something about the whole thing that was a bit disturbing.

I don't know of anything in Southwest Florida that will allow you to have a "dolphin encounter". And, perhaps you are already aware of this place in the Keys...perhaps for a future Florida visit. While somewhat "commercial", I get the impression that, overall, these folks are working to care for / improve the longer term well-being of dolphins.

https://www.dolphins.org/programs

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,177 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

I just saw the post about seeing dolphins while boating. Wanted to add that my daughter and I took the Sanibel Thriller (boat) trip around Sanibel Island last spring and saw many, many dolphins swimming directly next to the boat. Seeing dolphins is one of the main promotions of the Thriller operation. May be worth considering.

Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

Okay okay....sorry to "rock the dolphin boat". I get it. We have also had similar sightings on Captiva, right off the beach. Saw several baby dolphins jumping and swimming close to shore and it was beautiful! I am in no way promoting animal cruelty...just trying to fulfill the wish of my 10 year old daughter.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

Understandable. You might have a discussion with her about the cruelty of it - I bet she will surprise you.

I have to say I'm more than appalled at the dolphin program in the keys, having 'paint with the dolphin' hour. What the heck.

Anyway, no one is beating you up - I think people are just not aware of how it is for the dolphin. I think the Thriller is a great idea. Best of luck.

Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

Thanks sunnyvaca. I may have that discussion with her. She is an animal lover and maybe I can encourage her to try a boat tour instead. Not really wanting to drive two hours to Orlando anyway....LOL! Can only take that place in small doses. We'll be staying with my sister in Punta Gorda and there will be plenty to keep us busy.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

My 10 year old daughter is a huge animal lover also - we do rescue work together. Have you taken her to the tide pools, when the tides are low on Sanibel? We have found cool fish, crabs, and even pygmi octopus a few times. So cool.

What about CROW on Sanibel?

Anything to stay away from Disney!

Ohio
Level Contributor
170 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

We have only been to Sanibel and Captiva one time for an afternoon. That sounds like a lot of fun. This will be our first "real" week long trip to Ft Myers area. So, open to suggestions. We live in Ohio, so the only rescuing we have done is Cats and this year a Green Iquana (from MI as a matter of fact). Do you currently live in MI? I used to live in Portage.

Hell, Michigan
Level Contributor
5,967 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dolphin Swim/Encounter

Small world, I lived in Kalamazoo. Now, elsewhere in Mi.

There is a lot to do to see wildlife in it's natural state, in the Ft Myers, San Cap area. Do you know how to read a tide chart, to find the low tides ? Another area to research is Lovers Key - good shelling and dolphin spotting in that location. If you want to pm me, I can help you with the tides, with your dates, if you don't want to put them publicly.