We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

My daughters are coming to Ft. Myers in about a month and are staying at Comfort Inn Airport (I got them a deal with reward points and negotiated the differenct). I'm seeing now that this isn't the best place to stay if they want to go to the beach every day, but I can't change the reservations as my deal included advance purchse without cancellation options.

Other than a rental car, is there any other option for getting them to the beach? Is there some sort of public transportation available from the airport? Would a better option be to arrange daily transport service? Or should they just bite the bullet and rent a car? Also, if they rent a car, is there parking near any of the beaches?

Ipswich, United...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
4,784 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

I suggest a rental car is the best option. It's about 30 miles to the beach.

There's parking at FMB at $2 per hour. If staying at the beach for a few hours a park such as Lovers Key would be better at $8 per car.

A rental car would give other options such as outlet shopping, museums and Sanibel. Also Corkscrew Swamp if they would like the Everglades/bird reserve ?

some info here;

www.fortmyersbeachfl.gov/index.aspx?NID=143

http://www.floridastateparks.org/loverskey/

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

I agree with the above post.

Boston...
Level Contributor
84 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

Staying in the city of Fort Myers compared to staying on the island @ Fort Myers Beach is like night and day. Sorry not trying to be a downer, but maybe next time have them stay on island. There is a bus service that connects to the trolley service. I'm not sure of the schedule and all, but I'm sure it is available online.

Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

You really need a car to get around in fort Myers. The airport is far removed from most shopping, dining,etc and is a LNG way from the beach.

Level Contributor
371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

You really need a car to get around in fort Myers. The airport is far removed from most shopping, dining,etc and is a LNG way from the beach.

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

I agree - they will need a car. The hotel does have a few eating options near it - Dunkin Doughnuts, Fat Katz, Cracker Barrel and some fast food options. There is a great outlet mall about 10 - 15 minutes away - Miromar Outlets. Gulf Coast Town Center is also close (but you still need a car). Unfortunately, the hotel does have an indoor pool, making wanting to go to the beach and work on those tans, maybe a higher priority, lol.

Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

Thank you everyone for your advice. One other question (still tring to keep my Maine girls off the Florida roads): what if they took a cab to the beginning of the trolley route, then just took the trolley from there? Anyone know what that might cost?

South Florida...
Level Contributor
10,820 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

Not sure of the cost but as far as trying to keep them "off the Florida roads" - its an easy drive to the beach but that time of year there will be lots of traffic. Fort Myers is a very easy place to get around by car.

Here is one taxi link with some prices - www.bluebirdyellowtaxi.com/taxi-rates.html

Edited: 9:09 am, February 22, 2013
Unity, Maine
Level Contributor
833 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

Hi: not trying to insult any Florida drivers out there. We live in a town with 2000 people and even though my daughters feel like they're savvy drivers, they just don't have the experience to handle a large busy city, in my opinion. That's why I'm trying to avoid a rental car if I can.

Thank you, however, for the taxi link; I've emailed them for a rough idea of cost. I think if they can take a cab, then the trolley to wherever they want to hang out during the day, then a cab back to the hotel from the trolley stop, it would work best; unless it's way more than the cost of a rental car, which is pretty costly ($265+insurance for 4 days) as it is.

10. Re: Comfort Inn Airpirt to the beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 24, 2014