We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

car rental tips

texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Topic
car rental tips

Hi all! I had some really good responses on previously asked qustions! You guys are great! So I am back again wondering what a good rate is for a weekly (sat. - sat.) car rental in mid- March? I would like no smaller that a standard size car. I have probably rented only one car in the last 20 years so I need a little advice from you all who have more experience that I!! I like to plan ahead so waiting until the last week to try and get a better rate is not very appealing to me - I'd like to book ahead. Are there any companies to watch out for that have policies that come and bite you when you bring the car back?? Would like my husband and I to both be able to drive the car. Our credit card has good auto rental insurance so I am not interested in any extra added fees. Just want to pay the straight up fee with taxes and be done with it but would like to get the best rate I can. Thanks in advance for your help!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,025 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: car rental tips

I have been reading posts as the quotes I received from the rental companies for the rental of a mini-van are crazy expensive – we originally were going to rent a standard 4 door vehicle but as we have 2 more people coming along we now require a van. The van as quotes are over 3 times the cost of a good sized car.

I found a post on the Tampa forum, I've included it below, and I did request a quote from them. They came back with a much better price from a reputable agency. As the poster states, I was under no obligation to accept this quote and did not have to provide a credit card.

As I’m not obligated, I’m also considering a “Name your own price” bid on Priceline. Given the info they have, I believe I could get a good price here as well. I am waiting to a little closer to our departure to try this as with this, you are obligated if Priceline accepts your bid and it is billed to your credit card immediately and is non-refundable.

Response to a post on the Tampa forum:

I have used 3rd party broker www.discountfloridacarrental.com and it worked fine. I got a good rate and they immediately gave me the name of the company my car was reserved with.

I called the company, Alamo I think, to verify and they had my reservation, so all was okay. I was not charged by discount Fla, I paid the company my car was reserved with at the time of rental, not in advance.

Discount Fla does not even ask for your credit card info. You send it directly to the rental company after discount Fla makes the reservation for you.

Edited: 6:05 pm, October 12, 2011
Arlington, WA
13 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: car rental tips

We just rented through Hotwire and got a good rate of $18/day for a Standard car (Impala). I have always had good luck with Hotwire & Priceline the last couple of years and highly recommend them. It's usually way cheaper.

texas
Level Contributor
75 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: car rental tips

what time period did you receive the $18 per day for - it seems spring - March - is higher unfortunately - still looking!

Chicago Il
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: car rental tips

I have been reading all posts regarding car rentals in FT. Myers since I found all the quotes to be outrageous!!! I was so thrilled I took your advice and went to the link for Florida discount car rental. Your advice saved me about $250.00!!!

I was just sick at the thought of paying $500.00 for a week. I received a quote back in 24hours for 250.00 including all taxes!!! I cannot thank you enough!!!!

Chicago Il
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: car rental tips

I have been reading all posts regarding car rentals in FT. Myers since I found all the quotes to be outrageous!!! I was so thrilled I took your advice and went to the link for Florida discount car rental. Your advice saved me about $250.00!!!

I was just sick at the thought of paying $500.00 for a week. I received a quote back in 24hours for 250.00 including all taxes!!! I cannot thank you enough!!!!

Chicago Il
Level Contributor
122 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: car rental tips

Naples, Florida
Destination Expert
for Naples
Level Contributor
1,738 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: car rental tips

Here is a post / link for Budget special $139 a week for intermediate SUV

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g34616-i231-k51594…

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: car rental tips

I just sent my request in now - will advise...March 9th -19th - picking up RSW (Ft Myers Airport) and returning to FLL (Ft. Lauderdale Airport).

Edited: 7:12 am, February 24, 2012
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
612 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: car rental tips

Well - hehe - booked only a couple days before my departure on March 8th through a British website! And got a car for $235 for the week from Alamo. The deal was you HAD to execute the FSO (fuel service option) but the price they gave me was what was on the street - so add $45.00. It was a brand new FIAT 500 with only 9 miles - I was the first driver! It was excellent and just enough space too. Sweet!

10. Re: car rental tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:41 pm, June 20, 2013