We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help- need opinions- Fort Myers or Cape Coral area question

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Help- need opinions- Fort Myers or Cape Coral area question

Hello-my husband and I are planning on moving in the next year to the area of fort myers- we are from long island and with skyrocketing prices here want to get the heck out of here!

Can you tell me which is better to live in inregards to safety, surrounding area, etc- Cape Coral or Fort Myers.........

Also I am a nurse and he is a computer tech- is employment ok in this area of Florida? We do not need to worry about schools since our kids are now all in college........any advice would be welcome!

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
353 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help- need opinions- Fort Myers or Cape Coral area question

Lee County is the number one foreclosure area in the country so you will have plenty of homes to choose from at reasonable prices- unlike a few years ago. Jobs are not as abundant as they once were but I don't think you will have any problem at all finding a nursing position. (I don't know anything about your husband's area of employment.)

Personally, I am not a fan of Cape Coral. (I'm sure some will disagree.) Although there are nice areas on the Cape, there seems to be more crime there, plus you will need to pay a toll every time you cross the bridge into Ft Myers. Conversely, if you want a canalfront home and have a boat, Cape Coral would offer you the best option. Homes in the cape are more affordable, too.

I think the south Ft Myers area is the best. You are close to the beaches, can choose from established neighborhoods or new ones, close to the airport, shopping, highway access, etc. Although there is crime everywhere this area stacks up well.

It seems like the most crime reports come out of Lehigh Acres, Cape Coral, and east Ft Myers.

Ft. Myers Beach, Fl
Level Contributor
271 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help- need opinions- Fort Myers or Cape Coral area question

I agree, I would not want to live in Cape Coral. I like the Iona area, and South Ft Myers. Also Whiskey Creek and surrounding areas are nice along McGregor Blvd. Many canal front homes in that area too if you plan on boating.

Sanibel Captiva...
Level Contributor
276 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help- need opinions- Fort Myers or Cape Coral area question

Wow, I am compelled to tell you that you can have a great life in Lee County. There are great deals on the town homes, luxury town homes, right around Health Park Hospital the best Hospital in the area by far.

Did you know that the Hospital System is mostly going to be doing human trial on a very possible cure for cancer soon? A man on Sanibel is said to have discovered the cure. It has been on the National news.

Computer work, there is an ENDLESS calla for IT and computer hook ups and trouble shooting. One local company just made thousands installing wifi for all the accommodations on the Island and another guy is working on all webcam opps and security opps. He could find a niche.

This is the LAND of opportunity.

Email me and I will give you the name of the subdivisions near the hospital with townhomes up for sale. You should come down and check it out for yourselves. The hospital is near all the beaches!

4. Re: Help- need opinions- Fort Myers or Cape Coral area question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 am, October 01, 2009