We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale?

Which Fort Myers hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Uppsala, Sweden
3 posts
Save Topic
Things to do from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale?

We are going by car from Ft Myers to Key largo in a couple o weeks is there any thing to do or see on the way through the Eveglades?

Mr Ros from Sweden

Midwest
Level Contributor
1,831 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale?

There's a good article on the Everglades, and Fakahatchee Strand in particular, on CNN.com's website in the travel section (cnn.com/2008/…index.html).

Before you go, I suggest reading Marjory Stoneman Douglas's book "Everglades: River of Grass". It'll give you a good history of the Everglades and the state of Florida. See www.evergladesonline.com for more info. on the area.

Be sure to stop at the Clyde Butcher photographic gallery (www.clydebutcher.com) in Ochopee, FL (Everglades). It's on the Tamiami Trail, 47 miles east of Naples, and 35 miles west of Miami. One half mile west of the gallery is the Big Cypress National Preserve Oasis Visitor Center.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
225 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale?

If you take old highway 41 across the state, you can see some rustic Everglades scenery, but of course, the driving is a little slower than it would be on Interstate 75.

I've done the drive on 41 a few times. Once, we took a detour and drove on the Loop Road. It's a dirt road, so I wouldn't really recommend it in a small car (unless maybe its a rental and you don't care about your shocks and suspension). But you can see alligators in just about every little ditch and canal along the road. Lots of photo opportunities, just be careful!

There are also some other boardwalks and park stations along 41. Here is a guide to one of the scenic drives in the Big Cypress National Park:

nps.gov/bicy/…20LowRes.pdf

In Ochopee, there is a quaint little dining establishment called Joanie's. It's not for everybody, but if you want a slice of old Florida swamp living, it is great. I wrote a review here:

tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60734-d5272…

Just a couple of suggestions.

3. Re: Things to do from Ft Myers to Ft Lauderdale?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, September 22, 2009